Motorcycle Roadcraft 2020

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
Ohlins

Motorcycle Roadcraft 2020

Postby Ohlins » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:48 am

So, we have a new bible. But does anyone know what changes (if any) will be in it?

M1ke H

Re: Motorcycle Roadcraft 2020

Postby M1ke H » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:10 am

There was a short thread on PH about this.

The Sationery Office website gives a few details, but is still showing as 'Not yet published: available to order'

https://tsoshop.co.uk/Transport/Police- ... ?DI=653249

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm

I saw it pop up on social media the other day and need to place a pre-order for it. (Edit: pre-order done and it popped up a 10% discount)

It seems the overtaking section has been given an overhaul. How much, I don't know, but they appear to have renamed them: "single stage overtakes, and multi-stage overtakes"
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 pm

"new explanations of advanced concepts, such as limit points on left-hand bends."

I wonder whether the Surprise Horizon will get a mention?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:49 am

Just had an email to say it has been dispatched. :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Humanely?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Horse wrote:Humanely?

:lol:
In fact very quickly ... as it arrived today as well.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:51 pm

So, come on, tell us about:

"new explanations of advanced concepts, such as limit points on left-hand bends."

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Horse wrote:So, come on, tell us about:

Wow! :o [sarcasm] There's an added explanation as to why you should use the centre line as the right hand kerb for the limit point on left hand bends. The precis being the hedges/verges are further away and may fool you.

Personally, I still don't agree and I find it hard to believe that anyone is riding that precise that the difference between the right kerb and centre line is enough to influence their corner entry speed. Or am I missing something?

I'll have to sit down for a full read but in Overtaking, the old "in the absence of other hazards" which had become "where you can overtake immediately" is now "single stage" and the chapter appears to have been re-laid out with quite a lot more warnings about the dangers.

The book still uses that hideous skinny weight font that makes it hard to read.

Feeling short changed at the moment after a quick flick through. A few days may be different.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:48 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:So, come on, tell us about:

Wow! :o [sarcasm] There's an added explanation as to why you should use the centre line as the right hand kerb for the limit point on left hand bends. The precis being the hedges/verges are further away and may fool you.

Personally, I still don't agree and I find it hard to believe that anyone is riding that precise that the difference between the right kerb and centre line is enough to influence their corner entry speed. Or am I missing something?

I think it's a 'psychological' difference, more important for determining maximum stopping distance. Using the far kerb could con you into thinking you have far more than is actually the case.

But the flip side is that you might get an earlier indication of when the bend is about to open.

But the flip side of that is you might accelerate earlier, so needing a longer stopping distance, when stopping distance is still set by the (much closer) surprise horizon.

So it's possible that (still ignoring the SH) putting emphasis onto the centre line, rather than far verge, could encourage greater caution.

Also, if you're riding out close to the centre line, you have to stop either on that parallel curve or inside it.

CBA to find the thread, but here's on of the images:

Yellow = SH, with dark red = stopping distance

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”