Motorcycle Roadcraft 2020

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: Motorcycle Roadcraft 2020

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Yes, I get the visual difference, but find it hard to believe people are riding to that level of margins/finesse that 2 or 3 yards will make a significant difference to their actual speed. I guess the explanation is just warning people and it does no harm.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Horse wrote:

Yellow = SH, with dark red = stopping distance

Although now suggesting the centre line I agree they still have it wrong. Centre line might work for bikes but not for cars they should use SH. Your photo clearly shows why.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:37 pm

The centre line is not new, just the explanation. Centre line was in the 2013 edition.

Personally, I ride by what can't I see and could appear in my path. I does take some self discipline to stick to it and I'm sure we are all guilty of sometime having to remind ourselves to continue to do so.

Today had 2 deer appear, the other a HGV parked on a left bend with no cones/warnings. Best one was last year with an old dear doing 3 point turn in a left bend! I was able to stop and it was an excellent learning experience for the Associate following me for a demo ride.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Have you read the 2020 edition yet? Mine has arrived, and it looks like a few minor improvements. Nothing I've read so far appears earth shattering.

But the book's bloated over the years :( . The 1996 book was 175 pages or so, compared to 300 pages :o for the newest edition. Yet the substance has scarcely changed! Why is it so verbose?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Ohlins wrote:But the book's bloated over the years :( . The 1996 book was 175 pages or so, compared to 300 pages :o for the newest edition. Yet the substance has scarcely changed! Why is it so verbose?

Because everything since the 1977 "Blue Book" is written discussed, rewritten and produced by committees, working groups and generally anyone with any influence who thinks they have something to say. It has been politically corrected and politicised.

I'll stick with the Blue Book.

martine

Postby martine » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Ohlins wrote:...Why is it so verbose?

Maybe because of images and diagrams? Perhaps it's better laid-out?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:04 pm

So we don't need to buy a new copy of this?
PS I am one of your middle aged came back to bikes after 20 years and bought a 1 litre sports bike.....etc persons. It's been 2 years now and I haven't crashed nor do I have a big belly!

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:38 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:So we don't need to buy a new copy of this?
PS I am one of your middle aged came back to bikes after 20 years and bought a 1 litre sports bike.....etc persons. It's been 2 years now and I haven't crashed nor do I have a big belly!

There are always exceptions and I didn't mention crashes :roll:
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:43 pm

jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote:

Yellow = SH, with dark red = stopping distance

Although now suggesting the centre line I agree they still have it wrong. Centre line might work for bikes but not for cars they should use SH. Your photo clearly shows why.

I'm not suggesting riders should, if I gave that impression then that was not intentional. I think that I have promoted SH here many times :)

Edit: Of course, using 'classic' "where the verges meet" ie far side (light red) is still a useful guide as to where the road is going. Just don't do anything based on that information (if lifting / going away) until you have a view along the verge.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:12 am

Strangely Brown wrote:It has been politically corrected and politicised.

What's been politically corrected and politicised? I might criticise the book bloating, and it suffers from being produced by a committee, but I can't see anything political or politically correct.

The 1996 edition (178 pages) contains essentially the same advice as later editions. It's the bloating that's worsened the 2013 and 2020 editions (300 pages), making them significantly harder to read. Many of the changes are better but minor, such as recognising the existence of cornering ABS and airbag technology.

Unfortunately, I find the book ruined by the information that's blindingly obvious or covered by the DAS syllabus. It's become harder to get a motorcycle licence over the years, so learner riders are better trained for the L-test. But Motorcycle Roadcraft hasn't cut the stuff that's now taught to learners. It needs pruning.

John Locke wrote:I am now too lazy, or too busy to make it shorter.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”