Motorcycle videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: Motorcycle videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:44 pm

Gareth wrote:I'd like to ask about 2 in that while you returned in the distance you could see to be clear - the second longer reaching shadow behind the van - it didn't seem you could see much beyond, so I'd be imagining a fast towards coming out from the other side of the van.

The camera is not as good as my eyes with the shadows. I was happy with plenty of forward view up the right hand side of the van and I could have come in sooner if necessary ... BUT a valid point about being wary of the shadows.

Gareth wrote:I suppose a general question about accelerating behind a target vehicle rather than offside is what might happen should they do an unexpected emergency stop. I appreciate you have a much better view in being able to see over car but, I wonder, if the point of commitment is sometimes earlier than you intend.

See my reply to Akirk above. An adjustment to be made for the future.

Gareth wrote:8 looked like a slight misjudgement in 'just enough' which, I agree, is a very nice approach.

I doubt I'd make such a good showing if I recorded my driving overtakes ...

Thanks. It would be good to see more on here post videos of their riding/driving. The camera does lie a bit, but it's always good to see (hear) what others do.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:28 am

Jonquirk wrote:As a motorcycle rider you often have a view over the top of a lot of cars so it’s not always necessary to pull out to the right to get a view of some sort.

Fair point, though:
- you build a habit which then becomes second nature and is then used automatically behind eg a van where you can’t see over it - moving right first should never be negative but will sometimes be more positive
- you will still have a blind spot in front of the car you overtake and may therefore miss things like road condition / etc

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:03 pm

I decided to add a voiced introduction and t into a public video for others the learn from also
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:28 am

GTR1400MAN wrote: I have to say I always have the abundance of dashcams nagging in the back of my head.

This is mine.

Sorry, typo, not mine ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”