Hazard warning sign on Dual Carriageway

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Hazard warning sign on Dual Carriageway

Postby Horse » Tue May 05, 2020 2:37 pm

vanman wrote:For the price of three packets of fags, and far more healthy, just don't crash into the twerps that pull out on you...

An acquaintance keeps up to date with news feeds on bike crashes. Given the drop in traffic, you might assume a parallel drop in bike crashes. The reports seem to suggest a drop, but not substantially.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed May 06, 2020 12:38 pm

There is quite a substantial drop in trauma ops in hospitals - my wife is a hand surgeon who often deals with bikers - numbers are currently reduced

Stefluc1

Postby Stefluc1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Dont know if i am too late to post about a similar stretch of road near to where I live and work unlike the dual carriageway being discussed there is no advanced warning or information signs and the speed limit is 60 mph I have added a link below I think giving an angled view of the public footpath over to the left with a view of the brow of a hill on the right hand side carriageway, there is a large amount of footfall that uses this footpath. Now,driving around the speed limit is fine you come over the hill and sometimes get met with pedestrians in the middle of the carriageway which is fine . The first time I realised it was there was a few years ago at work responding to a job everything on and i was travelling above three figures when i came over the hill only to see a large group of walkers crossing and all continuing to cross loosing over 50% of my speed still having to give way to them . Now i contacted the relevant council asking them to place signs in advance on the approach but there reply was reduce speed limit from national to 60 saying that drivers should be able recognise the danger on approach. This road has got lots of pathways and no signs but in my 30 yrs of working around their I have never been to an incident involving pedestrians but many times for vehicles. I suppose no incidents on this road is a reason no signs. I do drive at a speed that I am able to stop safely within the distance i can see to be clear on my own side of the road, but not everyone drives like that I would rather have the signs than not just my thoughts.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4927723 ... 384!8i8192
IAM Examiner cars and LGVs
ROSPA Examiner Cars and LGVs
National Police car Instructor

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:16 am

Shocking and blasé approach to road safety by the council.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Those sloping barriers aren't best practice either.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Stefluc1

Postby Stefluc1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:04 pm

The whole of this road is a racetrack especially at night and the council are happy to deal with what occurs, there are lots of public footpaths and rights of ways that cross the road I've even seen pedal cyclist and horse riders crossing with cars speeding towards them and not reacting until very last minute. No doubt they will do something when someone gets KSId .

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”