Hazard warning sign on Dual Carriageway

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Hazard warning sign on Dual Carriageway

Postby Horse » Sun May 03, 2020 5:36 am

Walk, don't run
Do not carry heavy items
Pigs fed and ready to fly

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun May 03, 2020 6:45 am

Mike - is that a lay-by on the far side? If so, then you might expect there to be somewhere to go on the near side.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun May 03, 2020 6:48 am

There are two crossings on the A30 Egham by-pass. Before the by-pass was built, people from the town had easy access to the grassy area. Now they have to cross a busy dual-carriageway.
Last edited by Gareth on Sun May 03, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 am

Once you start looking for footpaths that arrive at a dual-carriageway, you might see something odd.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun May 03, 2020 8:23 am

Gareth wrote:Mike - is that a lay-by on the far side? If so, then you might expect there to be somewhere to go on the near side.

Sort of. It's one of this section of the A14's non-laybys. No P sign on approach and this sign in them. They were built but are not really deep enough for a vehicle to park.
Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (296.28 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun May 03, 2020 9:04 am

Gareth wrote:Once you start looking for footpaths that arrive at a dual-carriageway, you might see something odd.

That's a scary one. Looking at the OS map I guess it continues down the side of the road and then into the lane opposite. But there's no gaps in the armco.

While we do get out walking our routes have never encountered these sorts of things. But then, I tend to find published walks online and I guess most of them avoid these sorts of things being nice circular strolls in the countryside. I expect if you are a rambler and do some of the bigger walks around the country these sorts of thing happen a lot more. Well, an interesting couple of days on StreetView and OS Maps, and another bit of info for my life on the road (if we ever get back on it).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Sun May 03, 2020 11:41 am

It's not always obvious, hence the sign. There's one near me on the A22 and in 28 years I've only seen it used once and that was last week. I am joking when I say I hope you didn't stop to take that photo.... Anyway back to complete and utter boredom.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun May 03, 2020 12:35 pm

angus wrote:Basically, it means the new road crosses a public footpath and they didn't have the sense/money to install an underpass or footbridge

I think Angus is right on this. You get quite a number of "historic" footpaths (which very few people use) crossing main roads. You might get the odd determined hiker in shorts with rucksack but they are fair game. Extra points if they are using "Nordic" walking poles. :judge:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun May 03, 2020 12:56 pm

Just spotted one without overlapping armco.

martine

Postby martine » Sun May 03, 2020 2:29 pm

And it looks like the footpath has now been blocked off...
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.27809 ... 8192?hl=en
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”