Social distancing and observing

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
vanman

Social distancing and observing

Postby vanman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 am

Just a thought. As and when this calms down and there is still no vaccine, but social distancing still in place how could we proceed.
1. Not bother until it is entirely safe.
2. Adopt the bikers method of follow me.
Not sure how to adopt observing in car to how bikers are observed. Quite a lot of car observing concerns steering techinique, gear selection, clutch control and smoothness. All of which I am sure pertains to bikes but how do they observe this from a following distance.

Right that's the cat in the pidgions off you go......

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Social distancing and observing

Postby jcochrane » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:48 am

I’ve been wondering the same. From what we are hearing now it looks like it is unlikely that car observing can be considered at least until the end of the year unless a vaccine can be found earlier. With close proximity in the car and the age of many Observers and Associates I think we will be amongst the last group coming out of isolation.

Tongue in cheek....
Get Associates to mount their iPads or phones on the passenger head restraint. Connect up to a social group app and Observers can sit at home observing.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:38 am

jcochrane wrote:Tongue in cheek....
Get Associates to mount their iPads or phones on the passenger head restraint. Connect up to a social group app and Observers can sit at home observing.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:07 am

Looks like Roadsmart CEO Mike Quinton has some idea that both bike and car observations/tests will be on the cards once distancing is relaxed. Can't see this myself until a vaccine available, we will have to WAIT and see. Hope groups don't feel pressured to resume observing too soon.

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:03 pm

I heard it suggested, and am personally inclined to think it might happen, that (IAMRS) bikes would probably start up before the car side as Social Distancing (whatever that might mean at the time) is easier on bikes than in a car...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:03 pm

Well at last in todays Downing Street Update it was admitted not to expect much to change this "calendar year". Baring a miracle that was stating the obvious, just taken them some time to come out and say it.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:03 pm

Soon it's not going to be Mike Quinton's problem, so I'd look to the trustees for longer term guidance.

And what is the cat amongst?

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:27 pm

kfae8959 wrote:Soon it's not going to be Mike Quinton's problem, so I'd look to the trustees for longer term guidance.

???

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:08 am

waremark wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:Soon it's not going to be Mike Quinton's problem, so I'd look to the trustees for longer term guidance.

???

Spelling mistake comes home to roost in OP.

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:18 am

M1ke H wrote:I heard it suggested, and am personally inclined to think it might happen, that (IAMRS) bikes would probably start up before the car side as Social Distancing (whatever that might mean at the time) is easier on bikes than in a car...

Yeh, I can see little problem with the bikes, except handing logbooks over etc. This of course could be done via email in anycase. The cars however, how many associates/observers would want to carry on will have to be seen.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”