Masters - Safety Vs Progress

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Masters - Safety Vs Progress

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:50 pm

hir wrote:
Crrr003 wrote: Do you remember the thread about 1/3 or 2/3s rule for acceleration between hazards

The “thirds rule” isn’t about “thirds” and it isn’t a “rule”. It’s a misnomer.

Just remembered that there is another 'rule of thirds' - but similarly it's not a rule and doesn't (or shouldn't) use thirds :) It's the one used (mainly) by photographers and artists when composing. Actually it should use the 'golden section' ratio of 8:5 (dividing both vertical and horizontal into 13 equal parts), which gives four 'interest' points just inside the intersections of the 'thirds' grid. And it's not a rule as, often, composition will benefit from either a central position or for a very 'lopsided' design.

However, returning to the roads (and if I'm not allowed to derail my own thread, who is?), it struck me that SH can be used instead of LP, but not the other way around i.e. if the bend changes to provide more distance to the SH, then the bend must be opening up.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Horse wrote:Very simply, it was poor selection of image. ..........

Now that is something we can all agree on! Although even his choice of words seemed to provoke a strong reaction in some of the bikers on the LinkedIn conversation.

Horse wrote:I'm glad that it wasn't me who called it a rule!

Quite right, but I did use a small r.
Checking my library of driving related books, I find none other than John Lyon refers to use of acceleration sense for a given distance between hazards of 1/3 acceleration and 2/3 deceleration . Doesn't make it a Rule, but some would accept his teachings.

Horse wrote:But, to reiterate, I am really not confused in my understanding of limit point and how to use it, I'm quite happy there. Conversely, I don't misunderstand thirds because I don't have really have an understanding of it :) I read about it, tried it, didn't get on with it, so went back to tried and [literally] tested methods! And it wasn't me who introduced it to the thread. .............

I introduced it (rashly/obtusely) to imply the Examiner would have been looking for a degree of positive acceleration to the next hazard (observations permitting). Going back to the OP, my experience of Masters was a much more focused approach on getting from A to B, safely but "on it".

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32 am

Blimey - a thread re-rail! H canters off to make a note . . . ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Horse wrote:Blimey - a thread re-rail! H canters off to make a note . . . ;)

Anything to get us away from SH!

(I thought hir's explanation particularly convincing.)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”