What's around the bend?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Russ_H

What's around the bend?

Postby Russ_H » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Here is a link to an item on a website. For those of a sensitive disposition, I'd better warn you that it is the Daily Mail website!

https://tinyurl.com/y7acm3x5

The video clip is well worth a look.

martine

Re: What's around the bend?

Postby martine » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Surprised the police allegedly took no action. The guy did well but it took him a while to react.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Here it is on YouTube to avoid going to the Daily Mail website ... though it has a "The Sun" logo.

Hard to tell if this is the original clip speed or not, but looks like he's a bit hot into a bend. Also don't forget the camera does lie ... this one is positioned to the left of the internal mirror and sees the lorry sooner that the driver would have.

Scary stuff. Vehicles overtaking cyclists into blind left bends is a common occurrence you see everyday. Certainly something that focuses my mind going into any bend on my motorcycle!

One of the things we talk to riders about is "what you can reasonably expect to happen" when you see a cyclists approaching from the other direction? The answer is the vehicle behind WILL overtake it! :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

hir

Postby hir » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Russ_H wrote:Here is a link to an item on a website. For those of a sensitive disposition, I'd better warn you that it is the Daily Mail website!

https://tinyurl.com/y7acm3x5

The video clip is well worth a look.

So what happened to the idea that you must be able to stop on your side of the road in the distance seen to be clear? :shock:

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 pm

I am confused at the implication that the camera car driver responded quickly. It looked to me as though the car driver was driving at a speed which would allow him to stop on his own side of the road in the distance he could see to be clear. However he had his head in the clouds and completely failed to react for two seconds.

Also not clear why he seems to expect to absorb the accident cost himself; surely his insurance company will be able to make a recovery from the lorry insurer.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am

A [now late] friend commented that the HC was wrong with 'thinking' and 'stopping' distances.

He suggested that there was a precursor, the WTF? distance.

In science speak: perception reaction time, and for unexpected situations that can run higher than we'd like.

So perhaps his speed was ok, but he wasn't mentally prepared (that he might need to take some action) before the bend?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

hir

Postby hir » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 am

Horse wrote:
So perhaps his speed was ok, but he wasn't mentally prepared (that he might need to take some action) before the bend?

ie. he wasn't focused on the limit point?

Being a BMW driver there could, of course, be another explanation. Perhaps he was too busy flashing his headlights and sounding his horn at the lorry driver to get out of his way, and just didn't have time to put his brakes on. :o . or,

Perhaps he'd done an advanced driving course because, according to the Sun newspaper, the police asked him... "[the police officer] reviewed the footage that I showed her from the dash cam and then she just asked if I'd done any driving courses because she was shocked how I managed to get around everything.", or,

Maybe he'll get the blame. If it had been a broken down lorry on his side of the road, instead of a very slow moving one, I would have advised Mr BMW video man not to show the police the video. As the Sun newspaper reported... "The [insurance company's dispute team] is looking at the footage and speaking to the witnesses. They will then determine whether I'm at fault or if they're happy to go for a full liability on the other driver."

Will this be another case where Mr video man is condemned by his own video, who knows?

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 am

hir wrote:Perhaps he'd done an advanced driving course because, according to the Sun newspaper, the police asked him... "[the police officer] reviewed the footage that I showed her from the dash cam and then she just asked if I'd done any driving courses because she was shocked how I managed to get around everything.", or,

Blimey, if that's the sort of thing that's covered in IAM and RoSPA these days . . . :? :shock: :lol:

I had someone pull out in front a few months back - drove straight out of a side turning from behind a high fence, then stopped half way across my lane.

I braked [very] firmly - but it took a moment or two for me to think "I won't stop in time - so swerve!" and did so. (And stopped with the rear passenger side window aligned nicely for me to look at the slightly concerned-looking driver)

And I have to say that if the driver in the video took an extra moment to assess then plan that escape route then fair enough . . . Well, OK, big 'if' ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”