Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Strangely Brown

Re: Comments from ADI...

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:37 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
That depends on whether you want the pace of your drive to be dictated by the driver in front.

Personally, I prefer a greater level of self-determination -

Slow down, stop. Allow the slower driver to get ahead. Wait for empty road and enjoy your own pace.

And when the next vehicle appears from behind and the one in front hasn't gone very much further?

Why the antipathy towards overtaking? We should be educating these ditherers that it's fine to drive slowly,.

I really hope there's a 'tongue in cheek' smiley missing there.

Otherwise you're going all Mr Angry while driving and that's not good for you or anyone nearby :o :lol:

I'm not fussed either way if you want to overtake, just don't blame someone else :roll: After all, if they weren't travelling slower, you wouldn't have an opportunity to demonstrate your skills :drool: :D

PS if you're daft enough to wait for another vehicle to pass by, then you weren't really thinking about it, were you.

Wow! Just Wow. Truly lost for words.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:46 pm

I know - and I didn't even respond to the "Although if you're driving so slowly you'd fail an L-test, perhaps you shouldn't be driving at all." bit :)

Don't know about anyone else, but how I drive (speed etc) can vary considerably. When I'd just collected Filly from hospital after a major operation and she was close to screaming with the pain, I drove as slowly as I needed to.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:54 pm

Horse wrote:Don't know about anyone else, but how I drive (speed etc) can vary considerably. When I'd just collected Filly from hospital after a major operation and she was close to screaming with the pain, I drove as slowly as I needed to.

Well I hope you didn't hold anyone up who might have been rushing to hospital with someone because there weren't any ambulances available :D

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:10 pm

Horse wrote: After all, if they weren't travelling slower, you wouldn't have an opportunity to demonstrate your skills :drool: :D

Very considerate to drive at 40, makes the overtake so much easier than if they were going at 50.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:00 am

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:Don't know about anyone else, but how I drive (speed etc) can vary considerably. When I'd just collected Filly from hospital after a major operation and she was close to screaming with the pain, I drove as slowly as I needed to.

Well I hope you didn't hold anyone up who might have been rushing to hospital with someone because there weren't any ambulances available :D

Since I was heading away from the hospital ... ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:33 am

I find if I stop to let a gap build up, then I've closed them down again in very short order. There's a risk, unless you have a great view behind while stopped, that another vehicle will come along and plonk themselves in between. Sometimes I repeatedly have let a gap build up and use it, (with the same slower vehicle). If other vehicles catch me up and there's a reason I cba to drive at the speed limit, then I try to make it easier for them to pass. They don't even need blue lights for me to do this.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:00 pm

Horse wrote:Slow down, stop. Allow the slower driver to get ahead. Wait for empty road and enjoy your own pace.

Most of my driving is done when I want to get somewhere - or when I have an impatient passenger, often my wife! On the occasions when I am out for a drive, taking an alternative route can be an option (or just waiting until I leave that bit of road).

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”