Comments from ADI...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

Re: Comments from ADI...

Postby akirk » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:00 am

waremark wrote:
akirk wrote:i would be less worried about his following time (he moved up in prep. for an overtake) than his inability to read the cars in front esp. when there was heavy braking… first overtake seemed fine - second was much riskier and he seemed to do an overtake where he came out accelerating still for the open road ahead, rather than easing back in, re-reading the road and then accelerating… meaning that he was accelerating more on the offside and perhaps out longer than necessary. The fact that he had to pull into the bushes to avoid the bikes says a lot about how close that was to a not very good result!

The need to get close to the bushes to avoid the bikes was surely caused by the bikes' position rather than any lack of space for his overtake? When travelling well above the normal speed you have to be aware that on-comers may not expect you to arrive as quickly as you do. In this case he was ready and able to make space for the bikes.

Not sure I understand your point about where he is when accelerating, or where you want him to ease back in. As I said earlier, I am not comfortable that he was prepared for the open car to go for an overtake. I would have used the horn before committing to pass the open car (lights if a heavy, or if more than one vehicle behind a leader).

I agree he did not do well earlier on being ready for the lead car to turn left.

Yes - using the bushes is caused by the bikes, but he arguably therefore didn’t allow for them as he has had to use up some of his contingency… a good road for overtaking esp. in nice weather may have bikes coming the other way.

He committed to the overtake from behind the car he was passing, the roadcraft approach means you move right without picking up speed, to give a clearer view ahead of the car you are overtaking, allowing you a better view of the space into which you are returning - a typical example (though not relevant here) would be passing a van which has a hidden moped in front - his style of overtake would not have seen the moped until he was committed.

He continued to accelerate through the overtake meaning that he was committing to more power and speed in his return rather than seeing the overtake as one move and then looking once back to make a decision on speed for the road ahead (a road which suddenly became cluttered with bikes!)

My interpretation is that he gave a very studied example of an overtake but out of the context of the actual road / reality… the most dangerous parts of an overtake are the unknowns, what is the road like ahead of the car I am passing / what might be coming / etc - and the roadcraft methodology is designed to mitigate for that as far as possible, but he doesn’t seem to approve of that approach and as such I think his overtake was borderline - his dealing with the bikes was reactive and had there been a bad road edge or pothole he would not have seen it prior to overtaking and it could have caused an accident or at the least damage to the car

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:23 am

akirk wrote:a good road for overtaking esp. in nice weather may have bikes coming the other way.

That area is well-known for 'enthusiastic' riders. So much so the Hampshire police regularly target it.

There's a popular cafe at the A272 junction, another at Alton.

I avoided the area when training.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:45 pm

"He committed to the overtake from behind the car he was passing, the roadcraft approach means you move right without picking up speed, to give a clearer view ahead of the car you are overtaking, allowing you a better view of the space into which you are returning - a typical example (though not relevant here) would be passing a van which has a hidden moped in front - his style of overtake would not have seen the moped until he was committed."

Overtaking off a right hand bend he has as good a view of the road in front of the target vehicles as you would get from an offside position on a straight road, maybe better.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:05 am

I agree with most of people's comments...OK he was over the speed limit and rather 'brave' to submit his post but I believe it was mostly quite a good example of overtaking.

I personally get closer than 2 seconds if I believe an overtake might be 'on', then move out for a look...if the overtake isn't on then I'll move back to 2 seconds. This is a risk but it's a brief risk I guess.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:50 am

As I'm not a first responder on a job I don't feel the need to have to overtake. Happy to take it if 100% happy with the overtake otherwise not bothered to wait for something better to develop. For me, in the dry, I think of 2 seconds as the very closest distance to be to another vehicle and normally only close to that distance if an overtake looks on but not closer. Move out preserving that distance and when clear of the car being overtaken, accelerate past.Normal following distance much more than 2 seconds. OK so I might miss some overtakes that others might make but I'd rather that than take a risk however small.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:10 pm

I seem to recall that Reg Local claims he maintains a 2 second gap when looking for an overtake but that his videos suggest that sometimes he doesn't. Perhaps others remember his overtaking videos differently. Like JC, when not looking for an overtake I choose a longer than 2 second gap - I would refer in commentary to 'a relaxed following distance'. However, I sacrifice my 2 second gap when I think an overtake may be on - I think my heightened observation of what is happening in front of the overtake target means I could deal with whatever he/she decided to do. I have never (yet) had to make a sudden swerve to the offside to avoid running into the back of the overtake target! While I am not a first responder, for me completing a safe overtake where there is some benefit in progress to be achieved is just one of the many ways I get satisfaction from driving 'well'.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:57 pm

In a coaching session with a well regarded and well known coach, it was suggested to me that I needed to be closer if I was looking for an overtake - and that extending the following distance simply extends the length of an overtake, making it considerably more risky and reducing opportunity.

The suggestion was a second behind, 2 seconds for a relaxed follow when it was obvious that no overtake would occur (e.g. where my route would shortly be turning off etc.)

Caveats
- it will continuously change (e.g. stretch back into a bend, come back together on exit, etc.).
- you need to give consideration to the driver ahead - e.g. a learner driver, you might hold back further
- you want to avoid giving any feeling of pressure to the driver in front

It is worth thinking through why people quote 2 seconds... Any gap is needed only for reaction time, so that we can not hit the car in front - if all cars were autonomous and in sync, in theory they could run an inch apart. However, it is a generic time span which works well as a balance between giving extra space for the unaware motorist to notice the car ahead braking, and not being so long that the second driver feels out of touch / not in the queue.

However, as advanced drivers, is there not an expectation that we drive differently? Why are we expecting to only be reacting once we see the car ahead brake? Should we not have our vision raised and further forward - such that we are hopefully spotting the hazards before the car ahead (certainly, for me that is one of the the signs of a good driver!) And if that is so, we are easing off / dropping back / braking, even before the car ahead...

As such, at a theoretical level we don't need a reaction time at all ;) though of course in reality some is needed...

So, if no reaction time is needed, how do we decide upon a gap - the answer has to be that it is a mixture of all the things we discuss above - and when we are looking for an overtake it is not inappropriate to shorten that gap - as long as we lengthen it immediately the circumstances change / the overtake is not on / hazards appear / etc.

So, I think that a 2 second gap is a good theoretical space, but we should be discerning and choose appropriately

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:58 pm

waremark wrote:....where there is some benefit in progress to be achieved....'.

I remember some years back driving with a certain Scottish gentleman Jim B, known to many here. Having followed a car for quite some time an opportunity came to overtake. Pleased with myself for executing a perfect overtake only to get an "Och no" from Jim. He pointed out that we would soon be entering a village where I would slow to 30mph and probably hold up the car I'd just overtaken who would want to proceeds in excess of the speed limit. He said I should have waited until exiting the village so I could be assured of making rapid progress after the overtake.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:30 pm

akirk wrote: I needed to be closer if I was looking for an overtake - and that extending the following distance simply extends the length of an overtake, making it considerably more risky

The suggestion was a second behind, 2 seconds for a relaxed follow when it was obvious that no overtake would occur

If just one extra second makes an overtake 'considerably more risky', then that doesn't seem much of a safety margin.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:35 pm

Horse wrote:
akirk wrote: I needed to be closer if I was looking for an overtake - and that extending the following distance simply extends the length of an overtake, making it considerably more risky

The suggestion was a second behind, 2 seconds for a relaxed follow when it was obvious that no overtake would occur

If just one extra second makes an overtake 'considerably more risky', then that doesn't seem much of a safety margin.

Well, am happy to vary the precise wording… ;)
However, his point was that if you are needing the overtake time and some contingency then an additional second would often put the overtake out of contention.
That could be seen as considerably more risky!

The principle was I am sure sound…

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”