Comments from ADI...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
martine

Comments from ADI...

Postby martine » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:16 pm

So take a look at the video...and tell me what you think?

For those that don't know, the ADI Ashley Neal is a youtube poster who usually comes up with sensible comments. He was also invited to do an IAM RoadSmart Advanced Driving course but I'm not sure how he got on.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

vanman

Re: Comments from ADI...

Postby vanman » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:43 pm

Oh my, what a prat. Obviously not been taught to overtake safely. Intimidating the ones in front? rubbish it lets them know you are perhaps intending to overtake, also how else can you see safely past to assess if the overtake is on or not. If he is an example of driving instructors in general, then I am glad I passed test years ago. I could go on but let someone else have a go, fore or against.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:00 pm

Mmmm, can't share your views, Tom about following at less than two seconds, at one point, and less than a second, in another, or your explanation to justify.

As regards to Ashley I am not a fan. Although disagreeing sometimes on some of his comments on his videos it is his manner I don't like and the way he seems to present himself as a great authority on driving. Many video clips he shows, having been sent to him, make me feel he revels in showing how good he is by pointing out errors of others in those videos. Just the way I feel about him and would deffinitely not recommend him to someone who was looking for an ADI.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:34 pm

Fairsnuff, Too close granted, but my issue was with him not liking moving out to improve vision.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:25 pm

Please feel free to hate me. In most respects I was quite happy with the cammer's driving. I am happy to compromise following distance while seeking an overtake. I didn't agree at all that he had not prepared for the first overtake - he was ready to go as soon as he saw clear road on the exit of a right-hander. On the separation from the oncoming bikes, fast bikes appeared after he committed, and there was still reasonable separation.

I have two particular reservations. 1 - I worried about the two car overtake - what would have happened if the open sports car had gone for an overtake after the cammer was committed? I would have wanted time for a warning to be given, with time for a response. And 2 - what an idiot to provide footage of driving well over the speed limit for public consumption.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:40 am

i would be less worried about his following time (he moved up in prep. for an overtake) than his inability to read the cars in front esp. when there was heavy braking… first overtake seemed fine - second was much riskier and he seemed to do an overtake where he came out accelerating still for the open road ahead, rather than easing back in, re-reading the road and then accelerating… meaning that he was accelerating more on the offside and perhaps out longer than necessary. The fact that he had to pull into the bushes to avoid the bikes says a lot about how close that was to a not very good result!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:22 pm

He's showing you how to do it today ... on a very slow car. Took long enough (I guess many of his subscribers are learners)

From 2 seconds back your closing speed is greater. Moving up (not staying there!) is the most criticised thing on my overtaking videos. One person has 'a thing' about it and comments at length.

Do you flash or hoot when overtaking?

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:38 pm

Intriguing, he makes a big thing of 2 seconds separation, yet is closer than that tailing the second car.
When he decides to go he doesn't have a view in front of the car he is overtaking (which he would gain from moving laterally to the right), and he is already accelerating and committed before he gains that view - I think the roadcraft method is better in that respect. However, it is was a neatly executed and smooth overtake otherwise.

Overall - stodgy driving ;)

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:44 pm

akirk wrote:i would be less worried about his following time (he moved up in prep. for an overtake) than his inability to read the cars in front esp. when there was heavy braking… first overtake seemed fine - second was much riskier and he seemed to do an overtake where he came out accelerating still for the open road ahead, rather than easing back in, re-reading the road and then accelerating… meaning that he was accelerating more on the offside and perhaps out longer than necessary. The fact that he had to pull into the bushes to avoid the bikes says a lot about how close that was to a not very good result!

The need to get close to the bushes to avoid the bikes was surely caused by the bikes' position rather than any lack of space for his overtake? When travelling well above the normal speed you have to be aware that on-comers may not expect you to arrive as quickly as you do. In this case he was ready and able to make space for the bikes.

Not sure I understand your point about where he is when accelerating, or where you want him to ease back in. As I said earlier, I am not comfortable that he was prepared for the open car to go for an overtake. I would have used the horn before committing to pass the open car (lights if a heavy, or if more than one vehicle behind a leader).

I agree he did not do well earlier on being ready for the lead car to turn left.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:53 pm

akirk wrote:Intriguing, he makes a big thing of 2 seconds separation, yet is closer than that tailing the second car.
When he decides to go he doesn't have a view in front of the car he is overtaking (which he would gain from moving laterally to the right), and he is already accelerating and committed before he gains that view - I think the roadcraft method is better in that respect. However, it is was a neatly executed and smooth overtake otherwise.

Overall - stodgy driving ;)

My thoughts too. Personally I try to work to getting back on side in a third of the distance, saves possibly having a khaki trouser moment! If working to half the distance then logically you could come mighty close to meeting the on comer at the halfway point, unless they give way.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”