Reg Local - IAM Masters

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:48 am

Horse wrote:
Jonquirk wrote: ... a likely occurrence when driving on the road.

Although could doing (and trying to cling onto control during) an unintentional off-road excursion create the situation?

I think in those circumstances you may have more to worry about than a wrench on the thumbs. It may also be possible that the firmer grip on the wheel may help to keep some control and minimise the accident.(The argument for doing it when racing.)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:36 am

jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote:
Jonquirk wrote: ... a likely occurrence when driving on the road.

Although could doing (and trying to cling onto control during) an unintentional off-road excursion create the situation?

I think in those circumstances you may have more to worry about than a wrench on the thumbs. It may also be possible that the firmer grip on the wheel may help to keep some control and minimise the accident.(The argument for doing it when racing.)

There are times when letting go of the wheel is the best option.

^ That's advice from a ex-colleague who did a lot of research on airbags.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:32 am

jcochrane wrote:I think in those circumstances you may have more to worry about

I knew someone who bought a Porsche when airbags were rare.

He said that the manual advised: "If the airbag deploys it will make a loud noise. However, there will be other loud noises to distract you."

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:22 am

Horse wrote:

Definitely. Once passed the point of recovery and keep the brake on.
This is the instruction given when driving a Nascar on an American Speedway.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:36 pm

jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote:

Definitely. Once passed the point of recovery and keep the brake on.
This is the instruction given when driving a Nascar on an American Speedway.

His advice was based on imminent collision and adverse effects on forearms.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:13 pm

Yet every car I've driven in the last 20 years have had indents on the top of the spokes to locate you thumbs. ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:06 pm

Horse wrote:...

OK, here's another:

Limit point. Furthest bit of clear, visible, road surface so the longest braking distance available.

Isn't it actually 'see is clear and expect to remain so'? At least, that's how I thought the explanation went (and taught it).

However, in the first video and (I think) an earlier one, he leaves of that qualifier.

My take on his would be that the kind of person contemplating going for Masters knows this book reading definition malarkey forwards and backwards - the full explanation will be implied and understood by the target audience.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:59 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:...

OK, here's another:

Limit point. Furthest bit of clear, visible, road surface so the longest braking distance available.

Isn't it actually 'see is clear and expect to remain so'? At least, that's how I thought the explanation went (and taught it).

However, in the first video and (I think) an earlier one, he leaves off that qualifier.

My take on his would be that the kind of person contemplating going for Masters knows this book reading definition malarkey forwards and backwards - the full explanation will be implied and understood by the target audience.

Yes, I'd agree. But he felt it necessary to cover the first two elements. And I'm fairly sure I've heard him [not] say the same thing before.

Edit: thinking on this, that qualifier could make a substantial difference to stopping distance and so speed. So hardly a trivial thing to omit.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:27 am

Horse wrote:OK, here's another:

However, in the first video and (I think) an earlier one, he leaves of that qualifier.

What qualifier? I can't see it in my copy.

The only sources of this I can find online are a Survival Skills/Kevin Williams article and an archived discussion on the old forum that those words don't actually exist.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:50 am

I wonder if that’s something that Chris Gilbert might have said on one of his DVDs. I don’t have time to rewatch them to confirm that.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”