Reg Local - IAM Masters

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
User avatar
Horse
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:55 pm

crr003 wrote:
Jonquirk wrote:We call it estate fencing, made of steel, https://www.thetraditionalco.co.uk/estate-fencing/


It's used at bends and junctions (should be kept free from foliage). It allows more progress which is the Cheshire way.
https://goo.gl/maps/v6H76fs8rAvcojjJA


Give or take a hedge on the apex ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby crr003 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:49 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:
Jonquirk wrote:We call it estate fencing, made of steel, https://www.thetraditionalco.co.uk/estate-fencing/


It's used at bends and junctions (should be kept free from foliage). It allows more progress which is the Cheshire way.
https://goo.gl/maps/v6H76fs8rAvcojjJA


Give or take a hedge on the apex ;)
I did say should be kept free from foliage! That fence is probably older than me.
I knew I should have found a better photo!

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:25 pm

Hey - I least I looked, so it was worth posting :) ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:42 pm

crr003 wrote:Part 2 already:

Some horns!

There were a couple of times elsewhere he could have used his. ;)

Have to say he is very trusting of parked cars and waiting vehicles.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:55 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Have to say he is very trusting of parked cars and waiting vehicles.


Did he say, as he moved off and out to pass a parked stopped vehicle "get away before he does"?

That suggested to me that it was either:
- said for comic effect
Or:
- seemingly ignoring that the car night move while he was mid-pass


Edit:

As I clicked to post, I thought "will anyone reply that it's easy to pick holes?"

But then I thought about the standard that was being demonstrated.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

WhoseGeneration
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:15 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
Have to say he is very trusting of parked cars and waiting vehicles.


Did he say, as he moved off and out to pass a parked stopped vehicle "get away before he does"?

That suggested to me that it was either:
- said for comic effect
Or:
- seemingly ignoring that the car night move while he was mid-pass


Edit:

As I clicked to post, I thought "will anyone reply that it's easy to pick holes?"

But then I thought about the standard that was being demonstrated.


I thought similar to both of you. Then remembered my time as an IAM Observer, long ago now and my Observer checker, a local Class 1 and some of the things he "taught" me.
I wonder whether Reg is still in a bit of the same mindset.
One thing my checker did insist on was thumbs not around steering wheel, yet Reg does that and said it's ok. My checker told me he had attended RTCs where folks had thumb injuries.
On the same, Ted Clements, remember him, came to my group to give a talk and answer questions.
Roadcraft with the red cover was the then current issue, he held it up and said, "yes we've had lots of comments about the front cover picture".

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:49 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:One thing my checker did insist on was thumbs not around steering wheel, yet Reg does that and said it's ok. My checker told me he had attended RTCs where folks had thumb injuries.


He's not the only one, I've seen other videos showing it.

Not sure whether I've heard the same injury stories or, for me, if it is a hang-on from being taught how to hand-start my Dad's moggie minor :)

OK, here's another:

Limit point. Furthest bit of clear, visible, road surface so the longest braking distance available.

Isn't it actually 'see is clear and expect to remain so'? At least, that's how I thought the explanation went (and taught it).

However, in the first video and (I think) an earlier one, he leaves of that qualifier.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

User avatar
jcochrane
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:47 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:One thing my checker did insist on was thumbs not around steering wheel, yet Reg does that and said it's ok. My checker told me he had attended RTCs where folks had thumb injuries.

I've heard that quoted before. In motor racing it is usual to have the thumbs round the steering wheel and in more than 40 years of preparing reports of motor racing accidents I never came across an incidence of thumb injury caused by this. Legs, internal organs and neck injuries were the most common.

Jonquirk
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:48 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby Jonquirk » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:29 am

I have wrenched a thumb due to it being hooked on the spoke but it was off-road in a Land-Rover. It was a combination of low-geared steering and sudden impact with a rock in a rut that imparted a sideways force to one wheel. With current steering setups, including power assistance, I don’t see this as being a likely occurrence when driving on the road.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Reg Local - IAM Masters

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:49 am

Jonquirk wrote: ... a likely occurrence when driving on the road.


Although could doing (and trying to cling onto control during) an unintentional off-road excursion create the situation?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.


Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests