Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Gareth

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Postby Gareth » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 am

Horse wrote:thanks for clarifying

My main point is that unless we agree on the meaning of the words we use, it's impossible to have a discussion. I'd already said what I thought and, apparently, you assumed I might have meant something else.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 am

We have a phrase that says drivers and riders should be able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear and which they can reasonably expect to remain so.

We don't have a phrase saying don't use the off-side unless you can see it is clear and safe to do so, perhaps with the further comment that it is impossible to determine safety when approaching a blind left bend on the off-side. More succinctly it might be don't be off-side approaching a blind left.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:20 am

Gareth wrote:We have a phrase that says drivers and riders should be able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear and which they can reasonably expect to remain so.

The bolded bit gets overlooked all too often.

Gareth wrote:perhaps with the further comment that it is impossible to determine safety when approaching a blind left bend on the off-side. More succinctly it might be don't be off-side approaching a blind left.

That probably covers why I'm not keen on offside approach to blind bends.

Furthermore, on a single track road (motorcycle, where options are available) I would much prefer to keep left .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am

It's all about angels dancing on the end of a pin.

I'm in Normandie at the moment in the depths of the bocage. Lots of little narrow country roads with very high earth banks and hedges, which I understand caused a lot of trouble after D-Day. No matter, but driving a UK RHD car means the limit point is about the end of the bonnet. At the moment it is harvest season, and there are a lot of agricultural engines on the roads. Golly, one does get some very interesting blind RH bends.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:30 am

Triquet wrote:It's all about angels dancing on the end of a pin.

See earlier video :)

'Bocage'?

We've stayed a couple of times at a friend of friends holiday home there. It's odd to think of hard-fought battle there, as (from maps and a first-hand journal that I've seen), the advance would have been right through where the house is.

hir

Postby hir » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:54 am

Horse wrote:

Err? It's not just you! Nobody on this forum is keen on an offside approach to blind bends.

I can't think of any contributor here who would advocate an offside approach to a blind bend. Can you?

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:13 am

hir wrote:
Horse wrote:

Err? It's not just you! Nobody on this forum is keen on an offside approach to blind bends.

I can't think of any contributor here who would advocate an offside approach to a blind bend. Can you?

I haven't been taking notes :D :hit:

But, to be fair, where did I say 'people here'?

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:37 pm

hir wrote:Reg's Video:

I was surprised at just how muddled Reg's video section on "off-siding" was.

The video is part of a series titled how to pass an advanced driving test. He is clearly demonstrating and explaining what is required to pass an IAM or RoSPA test. So, half way through his explanation of what IAM and RoSPA examiners are looking for when positioning on test, why does he go all... "let me talk to you about how we do extreme positioning in order to pass a police advanced driver course. Oh, and by the way, don't forget this is something YOU MUST NOT DO on an IAM or RoSPA test. No, No, No!"?

It had the feel of... "I'm getting bored with all this civilian stuff".

Of course there may have been a subliminal message embedded there along the lines of... "I can't tell you to do this on an IAM or RoSPA test, but once you've passed... wink, wink". Who knows? I don't.

IAM and RoSPA stance on "off-siding":

Their position is understandable. The last thing they want is the Sun/Mirror/Daily Mail reporting that a driver, who had been convicted of death by dangerous driving, stood up in court and pleaded mitigating circumstances along the lines of... "My IAM/RoSPA observer/tutor told me to off-side because he said it would help me to see further round corners". Well, not in this case it didn't, sunshine.

What to call "off-siding", if it's not to be called "off-siding"?:

I agree it's a bit confusing. "You can off-side to straight-line, but it's dangerous to off-side!", doesn't really make a lot of sense. However, I don't think there is a single-word substitute option. Presumably that's why the word "off-siding" persists. the phrase I usually use, and another poster has already mentioned it, is... "you can maintain the vision you have got, provided you can stop in the distance seen to be clear, but never go looking for vision". I usually add the rider that... "if you go off-side looking for vision all that you will see is the oncoming vehicle that's about to smash into you!" It's a bit of a mouthful, but it's better than having to stand up in court and explain that your erstwhile trainee completely got the wrong-end of the stick when you told him that "off-siding" was an accepted advanced driving technique.

To be fair, in this one:
https://youtu.be/5yPReVqR4dI
he introduces this series and does say he'll be advising on emergency service driving assessments along with IAM RoADAR too.
Also, the clip at 3:08 is pertinent to the off siding discussion. This wasn't staying out to keep a view.
A while back I thought IAM was trying to use the word "trimming" to refer to straightening/linking bends. Trimming sounds less contentious!

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:35 pm

I would say that the "offside" at 3:08 was to increase the radius of the corner thereby reducing lateral force and increasing stability.

hir

Postby hir » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm

crr003 wrote:To be fair, in this one:
https://youtu.be/5yPReVqR4dI
he introduces this series and does say he'll be advising on emergency service driving assessments along with IAM RoADAR too.

Thanks for that.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”