Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
RiK

Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Postby RiK » Sun May 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Like him or loath him, John Gregory (Reg Local) has put out a lot of videos over the past few years, and his latest project is a new series entitled "How to pass as Advanced Driving Test".

Here's the introduction:

Last edited by RiK on Sun May 23, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

RiK

Re: Reg Local - How to pass as Advanced Driving Test

Postby RiK » Sun May 23, 2021 8:58 pm

And here's the first 'proper' video introducing the System:

It's interesting that he's taking an approach of making the videos applicable to all levels, from associate, to masters to Police Advanced with comments relevant to each level, though I suspect that may well make them a little overly complex for the fresh associate.

Having watched the system video I have a few thoughts in reserve, but I'd be interested to see what others think.

As a starter for further discussion, take a look at this section around the 3:25 mark and think how you might feel should an associate question the steering technique...
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

GTR1400MAN

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 am

I haven't watched this latest one yet. I did look at the bit you referred to and saw a mix of techniques on the steering for the that mini RAB. I guess the discussion would be around slow speed manoeuvring vs pull push. I'll certainly take a past 12 technique on tiny mini RABs if turning right, though watching the video it looked almost straight and I wondered about the indicator (though the camera lens can make things look different to real life).

Just before here he's clearly doing 32 in a 30 for quite some time. I know why he is, but another discussion point. Surprisingly I rode at SatNag speeds in my latest video and so far have received no negative comments about that. Maybe more and more people are understanding about speed vs indicated speed (or no-one's noticed! :) ).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Mon May 24, 2021 9:21 am

Re steering techniue, perfect example of rotational steering as far as I could see (roadcraft page 122)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 24, 2021 11:30 am

I just watched the whole thing and thought it was a good explanation of System.

I liked the comparison of manual to automatic/DCT. I think the reason people struggle with System in an automatic/DCT is they lack any finesse on the accelerator. They cover this up in a manual with the use of the clutch. Driving a DCT massively improves your acceleration sense.

Interesting that he talked a lot about eliminating brake gear overlap, yet the video had a lot of steering and gear overlap.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon May 24, 2021 1:08 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Interesting that he talked a lot about eliminating brake gear overlap, yet the video had a lot of steering and gear overlap.

Yes, Reg sometimes steers one handed.

I am always surprised in Reg's videos by the amount Reg 'talks with his left hand' and only has one hand on the wheel. I feel both hands should be on the wheel when possible because with both hands on the wheel a driver is more ready to deal with the unexpected - whether it be a dog running out or a sudden deflation.

In this video, do you think the topic benefits by being delivered while he is driving (fluent as he is) rather than using powerpoint slides to list and illustrate points, cutting to video of driving only when required to give a demonstration?

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon May 24, 2021 1:17 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Just before here he's clearly doing 32 in a 30 for quite some time.

Quite apart from the issue of true versus indicated speed, and forgetting that Reg is delivering a lecture while driving, which takes quite some doing, what level of tolerance around a 30 mph speed limit do you expect to achieve? Having a digital speedo highlights the difficulty of holding an exact speed. If I see 2 mph over my target I ease off to get back closer but I don't beat myself up about it (a particular challenge is dealing with an underpass or overpass where you go down then up - or vice versa).

On the true versus indicated speed issue, for the purposes of the test I advise Associates to go with indicated speed, knowing that they cannot be criticised for lack of progress for so doing and it gives them a margin of safety in relation to the speed limit.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon May 24, 2021 1:22 pm

waremark wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Just before here he's clearly doing 32 in a 30 for quite some time.

Quite apart from the issue of true versus indicated speed, and forgetting that Reg is delivering a lecture while driving, which takes quite some doing, what level of tolerance around a 30 mph speed limit do you expect to achieve? Having a digital speedo highlights the difficulty of holding an exact speed. If I see 2 mph over my target I ease off to get back closer but I don't beat myself up about it (a particular challenge is dealing with an underpass or overpass where you go down then up - or vice versa).

On the true versus indicated speed issue, for the purposes of the test I advise Associates to go with indicated speed, knowing that they cannot be criticised for lack of progress for so doing and it gives them a margin of safety in relation to the speed limit.

If it's a limit not a target and you're struggling for accuracy, shouldn't you then be aiming for something under the limit so if it does drift you're still within that limit?

(yes, I know the reality of doing an indicated 28mph in most 30s will see a succession of impatient drivers in your boot and quite possibly some dangerous overtakes. I'm not sure what that says about our obsession with numbers on sticks as a sensible proxy for road safety :hit: )

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 24, 2021 1:52 pm

waremark wrote:

I thought I'd covered/explained myself with the "Surprisingly I rode at SatNag speeds in my latest video ..." comment. :)

Speed = Distance over time, not what a display says. Real speed is what traffic law works to. Digital speedos can be a pain. They are damped, so won't flutter like the early ones did. Occasional displays of 31 were mentioned on my IAM test, but he did say he was being picky. Sadly other than seat of the pants and your ears, that click over from 30 to 31 is all you've got to know you have added a little speed.

For IAM Associates I go with policy and tell them to work with what is displayed. I explain I will be looking for consistency as their speedo probably won't be exactly the same as mine.

PS. I only mentioned the speed as the discussion was heading in "what would an associate think" direction.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 24, 2021 1:56 pm

waremark wrote:In this video, do you think the topic benefits by being delivered while he is driving (fluent as he is) rather than using powerpoint slides to list and illustrate points, cutting to video of driving only when required to give a demonstration?

I doubt people will watch a PowerPoint style presentation interspersed with footage. YouTube attention span is short. People are used to seeing moto-vloggers and that's what they expect.

When I was preparing for my IAM test, I was told off for 'talking with my hands' when doing commentary :)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”