Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
crr003

Re: Reg Local - How to pass as Advanced Driving Test

Postby crr003 » Mon May 24, 2021 2:15 pm

RiK wrote:...
As a starter for further discussion, take a look at this section around the 3:25 mark and think how you might feel should an associate question the steering technique...

I'd ask the Associate what technique were they expecting? Was the manoeuvre carried out safely, accurately and smoothly?
It gets more interesting at 19:46 where I think I can see self-centring being used!

In the old days, Pull-Push was enforced. Since around 2016(?) the IAM official position has been:
"Steering (if it's not broken don't fix it). If the steering is accurate and smooth, the method of steering becomes less important as long as safety is always maintained." - Taken from the 2016 v1.0 edition.

I'm sure there are Groups and individual Observers that are still keen on Pull-Push everywhere. A quick look at Bristol Advanced Motorists website gave me this:
"In the main, mirrored steering provides greater control over a range of situations than can be achieved by other steering methods such as fixed input, gangster lean-back, crossing hands or rotational and is particularly valuable for accurate control in all manoeuvring exercises and especially for reversing round a corner when your eyes will (for the larger part) be through the rear window. It allows you to know precisely the position of the steering wheel in relation to the direction of the road wheels."
Mirrored equates to pull-push I think.

There's no arguing that if you can do good P-P you can deal with anything. The issue is the other methods, properly applied in the correct situation, are perfectly acceptable. But is it "advanced driving"?

Horse

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Postby Horse » Mon May 24, 2021 3:17 pm

jont- wrote: I'm not sure what that says about our obsession with numbers on sticks as a sensible proxy for road safety :hit: )

Sometimes, those limits will be there for a reason.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon May 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote: I'm not sure what that says about our obsession with numbers on sticks as a sensible proxy for road safety :hit: )

Sometimes, those limits will be there for a reason.

So what fraction of the time will they be absolutely the maximum safe speed for a section of road? I'd hazard such a little fraction of the time as to make them worthless (unless you want a beating stick for motorists and are too lazy to prosecute for the actual offence such as DWDCA).

Put it another way - do you think you could drive safely if there weren't any speed limits?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 24, 2021 5:56 pm

jont- wrote: I'd hazard such a little fraction of the time as to make them worthless

Guess based on what?

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon May 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote: I'd hazard such a little fraction of the time as to make them worthless

Guess based on what?

Observation every time I drive :roll: Gwan, really, where have you last driven and though, yup, this speed limit is absolutely the maximum that is safe. Not 1 or 2mph more. Or less.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 24, 2021 6:34 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:

Guess based on what?

Observation every time I drive :roll: Gwan, really, where have you last driven and though, yup, this speed limit is absolutely the maximum that is safe. Not 1 or 2mph more. Or less.

But it's not about you or me, is it?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 24, 2021 6:37 pm

RiK wrote:And here's the first 'proper' video introducing the System:

Appalling, absolutely terrible.

Is he really wearing a waxed cotton jacket while sitting on that nice seat, probably leaving greasy marks? :o :facepalm:

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 24, 2021 6:50 pm

waremark wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Just before here he's clearly doing 32 in a 30 for quite some time.

Quite apart from the issue of true versus indicated speed, and forgetting that Reg is delivering a lecture while driving, which takes quite some doing, what level of tolerance around a 30 mph speed limit do you expect to achieve? Having a digital speedo highlights the difficulty of holding an exact speed. If I see 2 mph over my target I ease off to get back closer but I don't beat myself up about it (a particular challenge is dealing with an underpass or overpass where you go down then up - or vice versa).

On the true versus indicated speed issue, for the purposes of the test I advise Associates to go with indicated speed, knowing that they cannot be criticised for lack of progress for so doing and it gives them a margin of safety in relation to the speed limit.

I have the same problem, Mark. Digital speedometer tends to drift up to 2mph over or under a desired speed.The analogue speedo does not reflect this drifting so assures me I should not beat myself up. Aiming for a speed under the limit only results in the analogue speedo showing that I'm not driving up to the limit as expected in some tests.

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 24, 2021 7:02 pm

RiK wrote:And here's the first 'proper' video introducing the System:

It's interesting that he's taking an approach of making the videos applicable to all levels, from associate, to masters to Police Advanced with comments relevant to each level, though I suspect that may well make them a little overly complex for the fresh associate.

Having watched the system video I have a few thoughts in reserve, but I'd be interested to see what others think.

As a starter for further discussion, take a look at this section around the 3:25 mark and think how you might feel should an associate question the steering technique...

That"s what I teach for a turn requiring pull push, a good bite to initiate steering. Smaller deviations do not require the use of pull push as other techniques are more appropriate. However I personally don't like the rising hand to pass 12 instead would recommend predictive or a blend of techniques, to avoid the rising hand passing 12.
Last edited by jcochrane on Mon May 24, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 24, 2021 7:15 pm

crr003 wrote:There's no arguing that if you can do good P-P you can deal with anything.

I would beg to disagree. It is possibly the worst steering technique in emergencies and is more likely to make the situation far worse. Any one who has done hazard evading training knows this to be the case. (Look to where safety is and do whatever needs to be done to steer there, but don't rely on pull push to avoid having an accident.)

Advanced drivers ideally have a variety of mastered steering techniques and know when to use them. Maybe not everyones opinion but it is my belief.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”