Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:37 am

A nice balanced explanation of acceleration sense. For me acceleration sense = smoothness/finesse. It is amazing how many people do not get the difference between slowing using the gears and slowing in the gear you are already in. It was good you mentioned people who take it to extreme and perpetuate the myth that advanced drivers/riders don't brake. (BMW flat twin riders take note!) One word of caution, acceleration sense is heavily dependant on being in a responsive gear. Many try to rush up the box and drive in too high a gear. Some modern cars however go into a sort of glide mode when the accelerator is lifted (either by mechanical means or electronic timing adjustments), leading to next to no retardation. Some electric cars allow you to adjust this by increasing the regen effect and this will give better slowing for better acceleration sense driving.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:33 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:acceleration sense is heavily dependant on being in a responsive gear

Bugs me how many don't get it, and don't even know what it means.

GTR1400MAN wrote:Some modern cars however go into a sort of glide mode when the accelerator is lifted

Commonly, small turbo-charged petrol engines but applies to some larger as well.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

RiK

Postby RiK » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Today's video - Cornering

Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:12 pm

I'm surprised there's not more comments on his upload. We've done the offsiding discussion to death here. I did comment on YouTube though.

"For the IAM stance on offsiding I find the best way to explain this is with regard to view. "Maintain not gain". So it's not quite never venture over the line. What they are trying to avoid are those (and we've all seen them 'showboating') who move offside late on approach to a blind left bend. Within the confines of the NSL there not many places it is of a huge benefit. However get onto the wide open flatlands of the Fenn roads and there's an awful lot of straightening that can be done that could be argued to be off siding. A contentious subject. Keep safety as priority and don't let the desire for view compromise that safety."

I was also surprised not to see more variation in his speed due to the conditions. Rains, chipping, roadworks signs.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:44 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: straightening that can be done that could be argued to be off siding

I understand them to be two very different actions, so would be interested to hear those arguments.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:15 pm

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of.

https://goo.gl/maps/S9DKbyqZpepCYN1N9

Oodles of view. A early turn in for the right leaves you in the oncoming lane. Am I straightening the right or offsiding the upcoming left?

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:24 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:https://goo.gl/maps/S9DKbyqZpepCYN1N9
Oodles of view.

Apart from the tree?

GTR1400MAN wrote:A early turn in for the right leaves you in the oncoming lane. Am I straightening the right or offsiding the upcoming left?

By my understanding, that's off-siding for the left.

My understanding of 'straightlining' is that you literally ride a straight line through a sequence /'wiggles' where the full road width can be seen from the start.

ie If the road goes left-right-left and a straight line 'removes' the rh corner.

Right now I can't think of an example.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Yes, wiggle ones as well. I tried to find an example , again on the Fens where the view is open and flat, but all the ones I found had no centre line (though I know they exist as I've ridden them).

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Yes, wiggle ones as well.

No, wiggle is different ;)

IMHO anyway :)

There's an idea / concept / thing called 'grouping' hazards. It can be a useful way of planning, and a better way of describing, how to deal with a series of consecutive hazards.

Your S example is a way of combing two into a single manoeuvre.

Yes, straightlining is a variation of grouping, but the intended purpose is different.

In the S, the purpose (presumably) is to execute a tighter turn in the R to achieve improved view for the L.

In the wiggle, the purpose is to give a straight approach to the final bend of the sequence.

Using the position guide of:
Safe? No identified hazards to require staying in-lane
View? No improved view available better than the straight line
Advantage? Keeping the bike upright and straight, not having to follow the lane.

You could also add Legal? eg no solid white line crossed, and whether there is anyone who might be confused by your action.

TLDR?
Offsiding for view
Straightlining for simplicity*

* That's not to say that you couldn't combine the two actions, ie your straghtline takes you into an offside view position. The difference is only where the straight line ends.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:58 am

That's sort of the point I was making. I get the technical difference between straightening and off-siding. It's the subtly of where one finishes and the other starts, and how a black/white "Thou shalt not off-side" is hard to justify.

In the Google StreetView I linked to, if you cut/straightened the right corner you can end up in the oncoming lane. You are then off-siding for the left with a view you can maintain. You could of course (sic :) ) just straighten/cut the right with your end point just left of the centre line ready for the left bend.

NB. I probably wouldn't cut the right here at all but instead take the righthander well up to the white line, leaving me positioned already for the left (while still on my side of the road). This is all just debate.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”