Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
jont-

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Postby jont- » Tue May 25, 2021 7:26 pm

With a DSG you might also want to think about how what you're doing affects preselection of the next gear. On throttle - predict upshift. On brake - predict downshift (assuming next gear is within allowed RPM range). Not sure what off everything does, might depend on RPM. I also find in mine downshifts are smoother if I'm on the brakes while pulling a paddle. Your shifts are also massively quicker than doing it manually.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed May 26, 2021 5:01 am

jcochrane wrote:With automatics I think of them as a manual car without the clutch.

During a practice drive at the weekend my left thigh and ankle started to ache - my driving stamina is abysmal - and I was very tempted to skip using the clutch. I eventually gave in, once, for an easy change, 4th to 3rd after the speed had fallen to 30 to go through a village.

Horse wrote:Was it on here that someone explained

For old-style autos.

jont- wrote:I also find in mine downshifts are smoother if I'm on the brakes while pulling a paddle.

Has always seemed to me like 'free' gear-changes when doing it manually.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 26, 2021 9:23 am

Gareth wrote:
jcochrane wrote:With automatics I think of them as a manual car without the clutch.

During a practice drive at the weekend my left thigh and ankle started to ache - my driving stamina is abysmal - and I was very tempted to skip using the clutch. I eventually gave in, once, for an easy change, 4th to 3rd after the speed had fallen to 30 to go through a village.

There's a tale IIRC in John Miles' 'Police Way' book of a night drive where the trainee was very smoothly double declutching - but using the floor dip switch instead of the clutch :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed May 26, 2021 9:35 am

I miss the floor dip switch. Thought it a good idea but I assume there is a good reason for moving it to the stalk.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 26, 2021 3:16 pm

Possibly to add the high beam flash option?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon May 31, 2021 6:31 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:at a left turn rather than be in the correct gear they'll feather/slip the clutch as they execute the turn.

I was thinking about this today while out on a longer practice drive; it was more than two hours in and I was feeling weary, (or lazy), approaching a tight left, had optimistically assessed I could use 2nd gear. Turned out I really needed 1st so, to avoid the car shuddering, I dropped the clutch going into the turning then picked it up after.

A short practice drive last night in a petrol engined car had made me think there must be many for which 2nd gear is too high for a tight turn.

I remember how I used to feel obliged to be fairly quick about turning into a minor road; I guess it was not wanting to be in the way of other drivers, especially if they were close behind and showing signs of impatience. I think many feel that pressure; all the associates I've taken out were unwilling to slow down enough for a tight left, (or right), even when they have the luxury of the car doing the hard part of changing gear.

It's worse if you try to completely separate the speed and gear phases; I found I had to think really hard about what it means to be in a flexible gear since, in our cars with diesel engines, I often found myself changing up early because they pull very well from just under 2000 rpm, but that provides no or little scope for lifting off. Today, in one of them, I reminded myself how keeping it between 2300-3700 rpm resulted in a much more flowing drive.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 31, 2021 9:58 pm

Gareth wrote: I used to feel obliged to be fairly quick about turning into a minor road; I guess it was not wanting to be in the way of other drivers, especially if they were close behind and showing signs of impatience. I think many feel that pressure; all the associates I've taken out were unwilling to slow down enough for a tight left, (or right), even when they have the luxury of the car doing the hard part of changing gear.

Genuine safety concerns in some places.

Here, for instance, slowing from 70 (if there's following/closing traffic, requires firm braking.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/8uHLrs

The van is just clear of lane 1 and the driver has about 45 metres to the start of the turn, which leads to a downhill right:

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.googl ... oTZAmJZfG_

Obviously, the 'fix' is to manage traffic on the approach to the slip. But there's a catch: the advanced direction signing is only 150 m before the slip.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/1kcBnR

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon May 31, 2021 10:08 pm

Gareth wrote:I was thinking about this today while out on a longer practice drive; it was more than two hours in and I was feeling weary, (or lazy), approaching a tight left, had optimistically assessed I could use 2nd gear. Turned out I really needed 1st so, to avoid the car shuddering, I dropped the clutch going into the turning then picked it up after.

I am quite happy with dipping the clutch while slowing for a tight turn to prevent the engine from labouring, and then picking up the drive again in 2nd gear once I have finished slowing. The only unusual to me aspect of what you describe there Gareth is 'picking it up AFTER'. I would generally let the clutch up just after coming off the brakes, and as I start to turn. Typically, I would have been in a higher gear than 2nd, say 4th, and so have had to declutch a bit earlier. It's an alternative to full separation (slow) or to H&T. I cannot see that the fact that you were already in 2nd prevents dipping the clutch from being appropriate. You say that you should have been in 1st - I guess that depends on the extent to which the car struggled with picking up the drive in 2nd, I rarely use 1st unless very nearly stopped (or uphill in a low powered car, I remember uphill hairpins in an MX5 needing 1st). I sometimes DDC into 1st turning into my own gateway just for the sake of it!

BTW, my daily for the last few years has been a manual diesel - about to change.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:36 am

I had trouble with the Google Earth links, had to swap to a different browser :roll: Also, the odd orientation was a bit ... odd!

Horse wrote:the advanced direction signing is only 150 m before the slip.

Clearly the authorities are trying to discourage south-bound vehicles from using the A343, presumably preferring vehicles to continue down the A34 then to use the A303 if they're heading to Andover or beyond. North-bound is similarly signed, although the road number is on last direction sign, only likely to affect traffic heading into Newbury.

If someone knows the junction, in either direction, they can start indicating at the first count-down marker, and ease off appropriately. If they're using satnav they ought to be doing the same. Anyway, it's not as if it's a single carriageway with no opportunity for faster vehicles to pass.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 am

Gareth wrote:I had trouble with the Google Earth links, had to swap to a different browser :roll: Also, the odd orientation was a bit ... odd!

Horse wrote:the advanced direction signing is only 150 m before the slip.

Clearly the authorities are trying to discourage south-bound vehicles from using the A343, presumably preferring vehicles to continue down the A34 then to use the A303 if they're heading to Andover or beyond. North-bound is similarly signed, although the road number is on last direction sign, only likely to affect traffic heading into Newbury.

If someone knows the junction, in either direction, they can start indicating at the first count-down marker, and ease off appropriately. If they're using satnav they ought to be doing the same. Anyway, it's not as if it's a single carriageway with no opportunity for faster vehicles to pass.

Many of the "slip" roads off the A34 between Oxford and Winchester are absolute rubbish and traps for the unwary .... :soap:

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”