Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
RiK

Re: Reg Local - How to pass an Advanced Driving Test

Postby RiK » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 pm

hir wrote:My overall opinion of Reg’s IAM/RoSPA entry level steering video is that it would be a bit confusing for associates. I did think of suggesting that my latest associate watches it, but then changed my mind. There are many useful and pertinent points that he makes but I think they’re lost in the overall confusion.

I agree. I did consider pointing my latest associate at this series, but thought better of it.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

RiK

Re: Reg Local - How to pass as Advanced Driving Test

Postby RiK » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:38 pm

RiK wrote:As a starter for further discussion, take a look at this section around the 3:25 mark and think how you might feel should an associate question the steering technique...

I do at least feel somewhat vindicated for my original opinions on hearing Reg admit that his steering technique was pretty sloppy in the system video... I thought it was actually pretty sloppy in the steering one too! :lol:

:soap:
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 am

waremark wrote:
hir wrote:
waremark wrote: Various

I completely agree with waremark’s sentiments on this. The following remarks are written in a similar spirit.

Unsurprisingly I also agree with everything hir wrote (not that I have driven with Reg).

……and not surprisingly I agree with you both. When I drove with RegL though he did not give a demo drive so can’t comment on his real life driving.

RiK

Postby RiK » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:22 pm

Next installment: Braking

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am

My comment made on youTube.

Great video Reg, all relevant stuff for when we are on the move. I do have a question though. Every where you look the talk is about THREE stage braking but what would your advice be for coming to a stop in one of the many modern cars, mine included (DCT, dry clutch), that have permanent creep mode (that can't be turned off)? The car does not stop pulling until you are at a standstill and there is firm pressure on the pedal. I had to discuss this with my IAM Observer who was advocating 3 stage and I explained it in my pre-drive checks to the examiner.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:16 pm

Reg replied - "I made this video in a DCT transmission car Mike. Look carefully - as the car comes to a gentle stop, I finish by pressing the brake harder to hold the car stationary. Remember - you can press the brake pedal as hard as you like when stationary & it won't affect the smoothness!
In addition, examiners are familiar with all types of transmission, so if the car is preventing you from stopping perfectly smoothly, they will take it into account."

I think he has missed the point I was making so replied - "I'm not sure your car has permanent creep mode. You car is stationary as you do the firm press to hold. In my car you can't feather off all the way to the very end of the third stage otherwise the car will still be under power and never come to a standstill. You have to do 4 stages. Stage 3 feather off and then 4, a final firm press to actually stop it and hold it."
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:My comment made on youTube.

Great video Reg, all relevant stuff for when we are on the move. I do have a question though. Every where you look the talk is about THREE stage braking but what would your advice be for coming to a stop in one of the many modern cars, mine included (DCT, dry clutch), that have permanent creep mode (that can't be turned off)? The car does not stop pulling until you are at a standstill and there is firm pressure on the pedal. I had to discuss this with my IAM Observer who was advocating 3 stage and I explained it in my pre-drive checks to the examiner.

Automatic cars vary in how difficult they make this. Yours sounds bad. In my F Pace you can stop pretty smoothly with only a light pressure on the brake pedal. When I had a DCT it was a wet clutch, and again this was not a problem. Does it put you off choosing a dry clutch DCT next time?

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 pm

I also thought it was a good teaching video.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:17 pm

waremark wrote:Does it put you off choosing a dry clutch DCT next time?

I've adapted to my sort of 4 stage braking. The problem is not the dry clutch but the over zealous creep mode. I am however very conscious of the fact I have a dry clutch and I'm very careful crawling in traffic.

As for the next car I had to adapt to my move to a DCT a few years ago. Having done so I won't be going back to a manual, though I do still drive my wife's manual Yaris. I do still think that CVT is the way forward, but so many people struggle with the disconnect between the sound and the motion. For now manufacturers will continue to stick ever more gears in DCT boxes.

A couple of month's ago I drove a courtesy car. A Yaris Hybrid. The CVT box was excellent and because at slow speed you are on electric power there's no stop/start to annoy me. Also it had a superb implementation of the electronic handbrake with an 'auto hold' option you could enable/disable. I had it switched on all the time. It was effortless to drive BUT required great finesse on the accelerator ... which is another reason many don't get on with them. Get up and go from stand still was excellent due to the torque of the electric motor, and there was none of the 'champagne cork' feeling that my car has when using hill assist at a t-junction at the top of a hill. I'd certainly have one, although it lacked all out performance for B road driving but with 50 becoming the new NSL I guess that pleasure is gradually being eroded. The cost though was horrendous! Starting at £21,900 Gulp.

RiK

Postby RiK » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Next installment: Acceleration Sense

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”