Single track or nearly...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
martine

Single track or nearly...

Postby martine » Mon May 10, 2021 6:11 pm

So I've just returned from an excellent long weekend in South West Wales - near Pendine Sands and did a fair amount of single track with high hedges...or perhaps one-and-three-quarters width roads - which I found more tricky.

My temptation with the slightly wider roads was to go perhaps a little too quickly to be able to stop easily in half the distance I could see.

I didn't get caught out (honestly) but thinking back, I might have!

Anyone else suffer from this and any advice?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

exportmanuk

Re: Single track or nearly...

Postby exportmanuk » Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi

Imagine around every bend there is a bale tractor with the tines pointed in your direction. Works for me :hit: :hit:

Had a few close calls on road like that both on the bike and in the car. Usually locals in dirty 4 x 4s who travel the road every day and normally meet no one.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue May 11, 2021 5:39 am

exportmanuk wrote:Hi

Imagine around every bend there is a bale tractor with the tines pointed in your direction. Works for me :hit: :hit:

Had a few close calls on road like that both on the bike and in the car. Usually locals in dirty 4 x 4s who travel the road every day and normally meet no one.

I've been grateful a few times the caterham is quite narrow when you meet a local used to looking over hedgelines for oncoming traffic not thinking there might be a whole car /down there/ :evil:

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 am

Works for me, except in my case it's a stationary combine!

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue May 11, 2021 9:43 am

It also might help to imagine a parent with a pushchair on the inside of the blind bend, just out of sight.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

martine

Postby martine » Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 am

Yes - nice :shock: thought.

And yes the locals are probably the worst :roll:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Tue May 11, 2021 10:01 am

Gareth wrote:It also might help to imagine a parent with a pushchair on the inside of the blind bend, just out of sight.

Interesting thought Gareth...but hopefully there would be enough space for me to squeeze through in a panic slowing/stopping...a car or even a tractor though is a different thing.

Some of the roads are clearly single-track and some with high hedges and are very twisty & hilly - personally I think I handle these fairly well: 2nd gear (or even 1st up hill), really slow until the view opens and with a tight right-hander, even slower.

Just thought...I didn't sound the horn approaching blind corners and I know some people do - in fact I can't remember the last time I used my horn for any reason...what do other here think?

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue May 11, 2021 10:22 am

martine wrote:Just thought...I didn't sound the horn approaching blind corners and I know some people do - in fact I can't remember the last time I used my horn for any reason...what do other here think?

Are you driving an EV? Or something nearly silent? If someone hasn't heard my exaust coming (esp in the caterham), a horn warning is unlikely to help.

But what if Gareth's hypothetical parent is deaf?

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 am

Day and time of day is an interesting filter round here. Sunday mornings on the little roads of Vale of White Horse you can almost guarantee peletons of lycra puffing along, and the occasional horse or two. I also have a theory that house developers are now giving away free dogs as a marketing incentive: they are everywhere.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue May 11, 2021 12:46 pm

Gareth wrote:It also might help to imagine a parent with a pushchair on the inside of the blind bend, just out of sight.

Here is another similar thought

HWC R2 for Pedestrians It may be safer to cross the road before a sharp right hand bend so that on coming traffic has a better chance of seeing you cross back after

Great so just as you arrive apex a left hand bend you find the one and only pedestrian who has read the HWC crossing the road :shock:

This was the basis of a question from an examiner a few years back on a NO/LOA test.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”