Single track or nearly...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
waremark

Re: Single track or nearly...

Postby waremark » Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 pm

martine wrote:Some of the roads are clearly single-track and some with high hedges and are very twisty & hilly - personally I think I handle these fairly well: 2nd gear (or even 1st up hill), really slow until the view opens and with a tight right-hander, even slower.

Why slower for the tight right-hander? I am probably being stupid, but I think I go slower for tight left-handers (in the UK) because the view is shorter from the inside of the bend. And yes I do use the horn on tight left-handers.

martine

Postby martine » Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 am

waremark wrote:Why slower for the tight right-hander? I am probably being stupid, but I think I go slower for tight left-handers (in the UK) because the view is shorter from the inside of the bend. And yes I do use the horn on tight left-handers.

Errr...with a tight right-hander, I'm up against the right-hand hedge (single track remember), I can't see much beyond the bonnet around the bend, with a tight left-hander I am looking across the bend and can see slightly further ahead - can't I?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed May 12, 2021 2:48 pm

I do (or used to do) a lot of driving in France as we have a second hovel (which we haven't seen for nearly a year). It's in a network of minor roads in the Normandie bocage and it is very useful to have a co-pilot for the right-hand bends ....

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed May 12, 2021 8:36 pm

martine wrote:
waremark wrote:Why slower for the tight right-hander? I am probably being stupid, but I think I go slower for tight left-handers (in the UK) because the view is shorter from the inside of the bend. And yes I do use the horn on tight left-handers.

Errr...with a tight right-hander, I'm up against the right-hand hedge (single track remember), I can't see much beyond the bonnet around the bend, with a tight left-hander I am looking across the bend and can see slightly further ahead - can't I?

Ah - I wasn't on a single carriageway. I said I was probably being stupid!

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”