3 Stage or 2 Stage Overtake?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
vanman

Re: 3 Stage or 2 Stage Overtake?

Postby vanman » Sat May 08, 2021 8:38 am

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:
janetwise-griggs wrote:Agree with Horse, it's all about risk management

With benefit justifying the increased risk. What are the benefits from overtaking?

You don't die of boredom before you reach the age of the coffin dodger you're stuck behind? :gear:

Perhaps, the observation that the one in front is F.....g dangerous, overtakes cyclists on blind bends, crests etc. I enjoy my driving and do not really want to be there to pick up the many pieces. When on bikes (teradectyl time) there were very few cars I was happy behind for very long. :judge:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat May 08, 2021 9:09 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:The overtaking position is probably the most risky time when riding/driving and therefore you shouldn't be there for long.

For clarity, you mean the close follow?

Only asking because some people think being offside in actual overtaking position is the most dangerous.

GTR1400MAN wrote:Too many move up and then hang there waiting for an opportunity to appear

Agree, and agree.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat May 08, 2021 9:15 am

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:
janetwise-griggs wrote:Agree with Horse, it's all about risk management

With benefit justifying the increased risk. What are the benefits from overtaking?

You don't die of boredom before you reach the age of the coffin dodger you're stuck behind? :gear:

One of my training mentors used the description "find the compromise between being bored and scared". That said, people aren't always honest to themselves about risks when making decisions.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Sat May 08, 2021 10:07 am

Safety first. I think it's better to be in front of someone driving badly otherwise drop back in case they crash and have plenty of time to respond.
Also I never move across to check without increasing speed which I believe you call stage 2, I think this manoeuvre is very dangerous in itself. If I can't see well enough to overtake from a normal road position then I wouldn't cross to the other side of the road in the hope of getting a better view.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat May 08, 2021 10:39 am

janetwise-griggs wrote:If I can't see well enough to overtake from a normal road position then I wouldn't cross to the other side of the road in the hope of getting a better view.

I would counter ... ;-) ... which is the higher bar to cross when you are behind another vehicle? Seeing well enough to overtake, or seeing well enough to move offside?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sat May 08, 2021 11:11 am

I would argue that the most dangerous part of being offside is when you are alongside the vehicle you are overtaking. If you move right to check the view forward without speeding up you can move back in if the view shows the overtake is not on.

Once you start to accelerate you are either committed to making the overtake, or braking hard to drop back in behind (and hoping that a vehicle following you hasn’t already moved up and blocked that, or the driver of the vehicle you started to overtake doesn’t try to “help” by braking).

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat May 08, 2021 11:18 am

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:The overtaking position is probably the most risky time when riding/driving and therefore you shouldn't be there for long.

For clarity, you mean the close follow?

Only asking because some people think being offside in actual overtaking position is the most dangerous.

Yep, overtaking position is the close follow.

For others, you don't fire the gun until you are in the oncoming lane. Increasing speed WHILE moving out runs the risk of clipping the car you intend to overtake.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat May 08, 2021 1:03 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:Safety first.... it's better to be in front of someone driving badly

"Ah, I note that chap in front of me is not only slower than the pace at which I desire, but is erratic - in fact dangerously so!"

Leading to the decision to approach the dangerous driver, follow more closely and then drive alongside.

Perhaps the safer option - unless you have a progress imperative which justifies overtaking - is to hang further back from a dangerous driver?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sun May 09, 2021 8:57 am

As in all things Advanced Driving there are a few ways to the same end. I know it's teaching you all to suck eggs but the most important bit is to make sure you don't hit the oncoming traffic when offside, as the paperwork is horrendous, nor hit anything else on the way to or back from offside.

You need (in no particular order) 1) a reasonably predictable overtakee - or several if you like your fun that way, 2) a good landing spot or spots, 3) enough clear offside to complete the manoeuvre successfully, 4) good understanding of the vehicle you're driving, and probably more beside.

Whether it's a momentum overtake because you know you the overtake is on and you need it done a little more expeditiously, a classic "move out to assess then accelerate" or a combination, you need to satisfy the most important bits above. Other than that, it's a case of judgement.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 pm

What I actually mean was that I would only ever cross to the other side of the road if I could already see it was safe to do so from a position behind the car I am following. I will discuss this with John C next time I see him.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”