3 Stage or 2 Stage Overtake?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: 3 Stage or 2 Stage Overtake?

Postby Horse » Mon May 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Gareth wrote:
janetwise-griggs wrote:If I can't see well enough to overtake from a normal road position then I wouldn't cross to the other side of the road in the hope of getting a better view.

which is the higher bar to cross when you are behind another vehicle? Seeing well enough to overtake, or seeing well enough to move offside?

I read it as the move to the offside is to gain extra views that might suggest not continuing further.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon May 10, 2021 2:55 pm

It all depends a bit what the transparency is. It is difficult to see through a Transit when you are in small sports car and you have to go offside before making the final decision ....

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Triquet wrote:It all depends a bit what the transparency is. It is difficult to see through a Transit when you are in small sports car and you have to go offside before making the final decision ....

Nope. You don't have to overtake, you could hang back and drive your own drive ;)

But, actually, haven't you just supported my point, that the offside view is, usually, a go/nogo decision, rather than a recon expedition.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon May 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Horse wrote:
Triquet wrote:It all depends a bit what the transparency is. It is difficult to see through a Transit when you are in small sports car and you have to go offside before making the final decision ....

Nope. You don't have to overtake, you could hang back and drive your own drive ;)

But, actually, haven't you just supported my point, that the offside view is, usually, a go/nogo decision, rather than a recon expedition.

Yes indeedy.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon May 10, 2021 6:32 pm

Horse wrote:haven't you just supported my point, that the offside view is, usually, a go/nogo decision, rather than a recon expedition.

I think many find overtaking stressful because they're trying to make a decision before they have the necessary information. Given you often can't see enough from behind, why on earth try to make an initial decision there? Why the focus on overtaking at that point?

I reckon this is almost entirely driven by an irrational fear of being offside. It's just another part of the road; if it's safe, why not use it?

I'll repeat that because I know some will react without considering the words; if it is safe, why not use it?

In general, absent good cross views, the best that can reasonably be done is to look for safe places to be offside, and then to be fully offside while assessing the fuller picture that can be seen.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:What I actually mean was that I would only ever cross to the other side of the road if I could already see it was safe to do so from a position behind the car I am following. I will discuss this with John C next time I see him.

With the Covid rules relaxing sharing a drive becomes ever more possible soon.

janetwise-griggs

Postby janetwise-griggs » Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 pm

For those who've never ridden a bike, you get a much better view over cars so you don't necessarily get a better view offside so I would avoid this move as I don't have to overtake, I would rather get there without taking too much risk. On the few occasions when I have moved over to look I haven't sped up as you all keep saying. I was generally talking about overtaking on my bike not in a car.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed May 12, 2021 7:32 pm

janetwise-griggs wrote:For those who've never ridden a bike

Many years ago, a group of us were giving joy rides. One guy, who had not bike experience at all, was told to hold on.

"I'm used to going fast, I have Jaguar!"

The rider reported hearing a continuous "BloodyHellBloodyHell ... " as they travelled around the track.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed May 12, 2021 7:50 pm

Horse wrote:
janetwise-griggs wrote:For those who've never ridden a bike

Many years ago, a group of us were giving joy rides. One guy, who had not bike experience at all, was told to hold on.

"I'm used to going fast, I have Jaguar!"

The rider reported hearing a continuous "BloodyHellBloodyHell ... " as they travelled around the track.

But there's a rawness aspect to things too. The Caterham feels faster at 80 than most cars do at 120. Doubly so if it's wet (obviously this is all on track :roll: ). You're even more exposed on a bike.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”