Stopping an auto smoothly

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
dvenman

Re: Stopping an auto smoothly

Postby dvenman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 pm

The foot is a much better pressure than position sensor, so thinnish footwear, or at least footwear which accurately transmits the pressure on the pedal, are fine.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:22 pm

Hmm. I think that what I do is to brake as I would in a manual, well into the third phase. As the speed gets very low and I ease off the brake, there comes a point where I can feel the engine start to pull against the brakes again (I suppose this is when the engine speed drops below idle). When I feel that, I firm the brake up again slightly, to counteract the engine, then feather off again to a stop.

I think that's what I do. I don't know whether it works!

David

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:48 pm

I've found I need to turn off start/stop because the pressure on the brake is so light just before a complete stop the system gets confused. This can cause a slight forward lurch. Turning off auto hold sometimes marginally helps but not sufficient to turn it off and loose its benifits. I'm being super critical as the tiny nudge is barely noticeable on stopping. Just slightly niggling as, with manual cars stops, this tiny nudge can always be completely eliminated as you have control of clutch disengagement. It's a niggle I accept for the advantages of DSG.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:03 pm

dvenman wrote:The foot is a much better pressure than position sensor, so thinnish footwear, or at least footwear which accurately transmits the pressure on the pedal, are fine.

An alternative view.
Years ago I did experiment with thin soles and barefoot driving as at one time it was a fad idea. It never helped me but rather it was a distraction. I realised that I did not use or need sensations from the sole of my foot for precision or smoothness. In fact I now don't own any shoes that allow any sensation from the sole of my foot on brake or throttle. Like Gareth I rely on other sensations of balance through body and eyes to variation of heel flexion.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”