Driving in the dark

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Driving in the dark

Postby Horse » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:11 pm

No, it's sensors on the hgv detecting the bike within a certain distance.

https://postandparcel.info/109547/news/ ... -uk-roads/

CAVstar® optical and radar sensors will gather vital data on how other drivers behave around the platooning trucks.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:53 am

The scary thing is the DfT are seriously looking at this as an option. On motorways lorries already use tailgating to save fuel. I can't see the "improve safety" aspect of this. Lorries are getting longer already making overtaking quite an undertaking (scuse pun). This idea really needs nipping in the bud.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:51 am

vanman wrote:On motorways lorries already use tailgating to save fuel.

Do you think that 'platooning' HGVs will be further apart? ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:16 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
martine wrote:I wonder how well they work with oncoming motorbikes ...?

Probably as well a Teslas seeing them ahead :o

Here's a system being tested (brake lights at 0.58)

snip YouTube video

The tesla was doing this well. Where it was failing was when there were other vehicles ahead of the bike and then just like a human driver often does it switched its focus to the larger object ahead :o
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:18 pm

vanman wrote:The scary thing is the DfT are seriously looking at this as an option. On motorways lorries already use tailgating to save fuel. I can't see the "improve safety" aspect of this. Lorries are getting longer already making overtaking quite an undertaking (scuse pun). This idea really needs nipping in the bud.

This is what I think is the true future of self drive cars/vehicles, at least for the immediate future.

On large A roads and motorways our vehicle will just lock on to the end of the train. You can then relax and let it continue. The only person driving is the lead vehicle.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:03 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
vanman wrote:The scary thing is the DfT are seriously looking at this as an option. On motorways lorries already use tailgating to save fuel. I can't see the "improve safety" aspect of this. Lorries are getting longer already making overtaking quite an undertaking (scuse pun). This idea really needs nipping in the bud.

This is what I think is the true future of self drive cars/vehicles, at least for the immediate future.

On large A roads and motorways our vehicle will just lock on to the end of the train. You can then relax and let it continue. The only person driving is the lead vehicle.

If the train is doing the speed limit, how do you catch it up? And if it's not, why would you want to go slower? And how do you feel about handing your safety over to another random driver?

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:02 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
martine wrote:I wonder how well they work with oncoming motorbikes ...?

Probably as well a Teslas seeing them ahead :o

Here's a system being tested (brake lights at 0.58)

snip YouTube video

The tesla was doing this well. Where it was failing was when there were other vehicles ahead of the bike and then just like a human driver often does it switched its focus to the larger object ahead :o

I don't know any details about the platooning system or the way it works. However, I heard that a particular concern was people trying to get in between two trucks in the platoon.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:20 pm

jont- wrote:If the train is doing the speed limit, how do you catch it up? And if it's not, why would you want to go slower? And how do you feel about handing your safety over to another random driver?

I don't know the full details but I suspect the lead vehicle will always be a 'professional' driver (in a lorry?) and you'll be able to hit 70 to latch on.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:44 am

martine wrote:Oh the joys Andy, of us all getting old...er. :gear: :shock:

Have you seen the even newer headlights that, apparently, map the road ahead and create a darker spot around oncoming traffic (so they aren't dazzled) and open up the view ahead and to the sides away from the oncoming? Forgotten what they are called but I believe it's available on some Audi's.

I wonder how well they work with oncoming motorbikes, cycles, pedestrians etc?

They work just fine on my new car for motorbikes. Not had an occasion with a pedal bike to comment. They have another useful function that they adjust to reduce reflective glare from road signs, if required. Works a treat.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”