Any group back to observing in cars?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
vanman

Any group back to observing in cars?

Postby vanman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:28 pm

I know we have been discussing this regards ADhub days, but have any groups started associate car drives? Our Chair. seems aghast that we have only two associates remotely interested.

Gareth

Re: Any group back to observing in cars?

Postby Gareth » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm

Our group has interested associates but, I understand, mostly disinterested observers.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Gareth wrote:Our group has interested associates but, I understand, mostly disinterested observers.

I hope they're not disinterested. I could understand them being uninsterested though. ;)

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Gareth wrote:Our group has interested associates but, I understand, mostly disinterested observers.

I hope they're not disinterested. I could understand them being uninsterested though. ;)

disinterested
/dɪsˈɪnt(ə)rɪstɪd/
adjective
1. Not influenced by considerations of personal advantage.

In other words, influenced by consideration of potential disadvantage?

Seems fair.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 pm

From the dictionary on this laptop:
dictionary wrote:USAGE
Nowhere are the battle lines more deeply drawn in usage questions than over the difference between disinterested and uninterested. According to traditional guidelines, disinterested should never be used to mean ‘not interested’ (i.e. it is not a synonym for uninterested) but only to mean ‘impartial’, as in the judgements of disinterested outsiders are likely to be more useful. Ironically, the earliest recorded sense of disinterested is for the disputed sense. Today, the ‘incorrect’ use of disinterested is widespread: around a quarter of citations in the Oxford English Corpus for disinterested are for this sense.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 am

In my (RoSPA) group, of the 6 or 7 car tutors 4 are actively shielding, and that leaves me as the sole advanced tutor able and free to do pre-tests.

We do have a few associates but they're thin on the ground right now.

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 am

After HQ issued their re-start Guidelines, our local IAM Group (Bristol) polled the Observers to understand who would be willing or able to resume either in August, September or else when. Whilst I won't personally resume in the near future due to an underlying health issue, some 61% of our Observer team have said yes and will be starting or will have already started to work through our backlog of Associates. The cost of PPE for the Observers was not insignificant - but a legitimate expense from charitable funds according to HQ.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:11 pm

How has PPE selection been undertaken? Presumably supported by a thorough risk assessment? And will you enforce minimum requirements on associates?

Most basic masks (as I understand it) are more to restrict spread than particularly to prevent infection (ie the wearer contracting it) unless you go for fairly serious kit. Some masks even have venting, to filter what the wearer breathes in but not hinder what they breathe out - so fairly useless if you're in a vehicle with the wearer for any length of time.

How about use of ventilation (fans or windows) or aircon?

I think that, for many people, the chances of meeting someone asymptomatic is probably low. But there is still risk.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Horse wrote:Most basic masks (as I understand it) are more to restrict spread than particularly to prevent infection (ie the wearer contracting it) unless you go for fairly serious kit.

The answer is, as always, "It depends..."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-19-mask-efficacy-chart/

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Horse wrote:How has PPE selection been undertaken? Presumably supported by a thorough risk assessment? And will you enforce minimum requirements on associates?

Most basic masks (as I understand it) are more to restrict spread than particularly to prevent infection (ie the wearer contracting it) unless you go for fairly serious kit. Some masks even have venting, to filter what the wearer breathes in but not hinder what they breathe out - so fairly useless if you're in a vehicle with the wearer for any length of time.

How about use of ventilation (fans or windows) or aircon?

I think that, for many people, the chances of meeting someone asymptomatic is probably low. But there is still risk.

IAM provided a covid guideline document mentioning face coverings, gloves, clothes and sanitiser. What kind of risk assessment are you after? I understand people make careers out of doing risk assessments, but I'm wondering why this is causing such an issue - I don't remember AIDS/HIV or Hepatitis generating so much reaction.
On an ADI Facebook page there are currently various "experts" debating the pros and cons of wearing gloves - quoting from NHS types saying gloves are pointless if you sanitise. A few weeks ago the government didn't favour masks/face coverings; now it's a new industry.
Currently there are allegedly about four per 100,000 with it in my area. Knowing my luck I'd get one of them.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”