Reg Local and speed...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
martine

Reg Local and speed...

Postby martine » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:21 am

New video from the illustrious 'Reg Local'...it's carefully worded in places but what do people think?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:16 am

He looks as if his head restraint is too low? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 pm

I agree that he has to be very careful about how he gets his message across; in general terms I agree with what he has to say.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Watched this the other night. Surprised he has committed to video his obvious approach to speed that can be seen in his videos (including speedo blurring).

Not sure what the IAM will think of an examiner posting such views (even if we know they are held by many).

Personally, I do stick to SatNag adjusted limits. Though I get up to them quite briskly.

The issue now is that while he may only treat the NSL as flexible, and stick to the other posted limits, the councils have started installing swathes of 40 and 50 limits that were once NSL. When do you decide to treat them as advice? Already the limits posted are treated with contempt by many drivers and don't get me started on the number of times I am caught and tailgated (on the bike or in the car) in a 30 limit by a vehicle I passed in the NSL earlier.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Brilliant, put across very well. :car:

angus

Postby angus » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Horse wrote:He looks as if his head restraint is too low? ;)

I think it's an integral part of the seat & not adjustable

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:24 pm

angus wrote:

Did think it looked like that was the case. Do manufacturers not expect drivers to be different sizes?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 pm

Horse wrote:
angus wrote:

Did think it looked like that was the case. Do manufacturers not expect drivers to be different sizes?

The most comfortable seats I've had in cars have been one piece sports seats. In particular the latest "anti-whiplash" seats shove my head forwards at an uncomfortable angle if I've got the seat as upright as I would like.

Maybe it helps I'm average size? :lol:

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:05 pm

OMG it’s like listening to oneself. Good for him for straight talking and to do this in a video. I agree with his comments about 80/85 mph and three figure speeds. As he says the fun is cornering and the feel of acceleration together with achieving a smooth seamless drive with appropriate pace.
Reg, your a breath of fresh air. He gets a 10 out of 10 from me.

I’ll sit back and await the flack.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:The issue now is that while he may only treat the NSL as flexible, and stick to the other posted limits, the councils have started installing swathes of 40 and 50 limits that were once NSL. When do you decide to treat them as advice? Already the limits posted are treated with contempt by many drivers and don't get me started on the number of times I am caught and tailgated (on the bike or in the car) in a 30 limit by a vehicle I passed in the NSL earlier.

Don’t have too much of a problem with 40’s but 50’s...that’s a tricky one. Maybe I miss (must have been obscured by foliage) the occasional one.

I’m reminded, when on a RoADA test, I drove as if still in an NSL with speeds up to 60mph having not seen a 40mph sign hidden in foliage. The Examiner said he could not penalise me under the circumstances but praised me on how well I had driven that section.

I think my reluctance to exceed 50mph limits goes back to my earlier training where red ring limits had to be religiously adhered to but in NSL we would drive at our discretion.
Last edited by jcochrane on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”