Reg Local and speed...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Sticky mouse button ? :D
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:28 am

I've tidied up jcochrane's dps.

The challenge with ignoring 50s is that's where there's more likely to be enforcement, and you're 10mph further over the limit than if it were national. I've not watched the video, but it sounds a bit inconsistent to argue that limits are not helpful, then say that "80-85" is about what you should keep below. That sounds like a limit to me, even if not a legal one. Presumably he's mostly thinking about consequences if you're caught at higher speeds than that. I wonder if he'd limit himself to 80-85 on the isle of man? Or maybe 80-85 is within most peoples frame of reference at least from motorway if nowhere else, so doesn't sound outrageous, while if he's said "there are places where 120mph wouldn't be unsafe" he'd get jumped on because it's double NSL so /must/ be unsafe :roll:

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:36 am

My inference was that if you drive "sensibly" at 80-85 mph then a) it's on your own head and take the consequences, b) you'll get a big fine but not disqualified for > three figures.

To really up the general standard of driving, insurance companies need to be given either a carrot or stick to give decent discounts for those drivers who have undertaken advanced driver training, and taper off if you don't refresh every now and again.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:16 pm

He referred to speedo error? NPCC guidance is to nick from 10%+2, so 79. Keeping under an indicated 85 puts you close.

Probably the same with many of you, it's unnecessary 50s that annoy me. Although it did amuse me that he was saying something similar while passing within a few feet of peoples' front doors.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Horse wrote:Probably the same with many of you, it's unnecessary 50s that annoy me. Although it did amuse me that he was saying something similar while passing within a few feet of peoples' front doors.

Indeed. The irony being that by extending the limit they've removed one of the more obvious demarcations that drivers appear to need to be told they're moving into an area of increased danger (ie a lower limit). Sure, looking out the window could tell you the same thing, but who can expect drivers to do that? :soap:

ZZR1400

Postby ZZR1400 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:03 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Watched this the other night. Surprised he has committed to video his obvious approach to speed that can be seen in his videos (including speedo blurring).

Not sure what the IAM will think of an examiner posting such views (even if we know they are held by many).

I think that whilst many people agree with his thoughts and comments about speed, it is not really the main issue here, which is the identity of the person who made those comments in such a public arena.

My understanding is that he's an IAM examiner on both cars and bikes, and as such is technically in the employ of the IAM, who's main mission in life is to promote road safety. Is it professional and within the parameters of IAM mission statement to appear to advocate exceeding the speed limit in certain circumstances? My understanding is that whilst an examiner has plenty of discretion on a test, the one area he has no discretion on is legality.

I've also seen his recent bike review videos where he's clearly exceeding the posted speed limit by a reasonable margin and even goes as far as blurring out his speedo in the last review. Is this the behaviour that the IAM would want one of their main ambassadors to promote, especially as we've seen plenty of examples of the Police bemoaning motorists who exceed the speed limit in these difficult times.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:02 pm

I didn't realise road safety and legality are the same. I imagine if, as you assert, he examines for the IAM on a part-time basis, that he would assess a candidate based on their criteria. Perhaps he has a life outside the IAM and feels free to express his views on his own time, which is refreshing in a world that seems to have completely lost its marbles.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Gareth wrote:I didn't realise road safety and legality are the same. I imagine if, as you assert, he examines for the IAM on a part-time basis, that he would assess a candidate based on their criteria. Perhaps he has a life outside the IAM and feels free to express his views on his own time, which is refreshing in a world that seems to have completely lost its marbles.

You have just said exactly what I started to post earlier but then went away to think about how I could do so less bluntly than I had in mind.
Thank you. You have saved me the trouble.
Last edited by Strangely Brown on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:00 pm

There's excess speed, and really excess speed...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53029699

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 pm

I agree with Gareth.

The risk is that Reg’s comments may be taken out of context and without the caveats.

I would not be surprised, if I were told, that there are many IAM/RoADA Examiners, Observers and Tutors that at times are flexible with NSLs.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”