Off-siding

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Another Bill

Re: Off-siding

Postby Another Bill » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:48 pm

hir wrote:May I venture to suggest that you might be over-thinking this?

Judging from the consistency of critical responses, I’d say it’s a near certainty. :oops:

Next time I find myself on a nice twisty DC, I certainly intend to review my self-imposed constraints. I’m a frequent user of A34 Oxfordshire and West Berks, lots of long sweeping bends and (in)famous for its narrow lay-bys and short slip roads, so there’s a great deal to be gained from extending the view. I look forwards to my next drive. :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:26 pm

Another Bill wrote:
hir wrote:May I venture to suggest that you might be over-thinking this?

Judging from the consistency of critical responses, I’d say it’s a near certainty. :oops:

I’m a frequent user of A34 Oxfordshire and West Berks, lots of long sweeping bends and (in)famous

I look forwards to my next drive. :)

Let us know when, I'll go and stake out an overbridge :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Stefluc1

Postby Stefluc1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:04 pm

Quite a lot of differing views on what position to take on single and dual carriageway roads the majority of the views hold water. In my opinion on the original posters question of the piece of road in question, then for me you have a view into and out of the bend then it is straight lining the corner or bend and if you offside to the extreme on the approach to this corner or bend then there is a possibility that you could loose a bit of the offside oncoming view, dependant on your approach speed it might be more appropriate to remain nearside to maintain the lost view and simply negotiate apex to apex and if information changes then so does the system, its a case of what's appropriate at the relevant time in my opinion. As said off siding is when there is no view to the nearside and you are gaining the view by crossing the centre line which IAM does not condone for reasons stated , I ask myself what advantage will I gain by doing this based on Safety View and Stability.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”