Reg Local and speed...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Stefluc1
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby Stefluc1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:46 pm

I think everyone likes speed I will be the first one to hold my hands up I drive at speeds up to a 150+ mph every day legally of course. But if i were to come on here and condone exceeding the speed limit as being OK in my capacity as an IAM Road smart Examiner and or as a Police officer would this be acceptable to everyone and to the organisations that I represent no,I dont think so.
I was once told what goes on behind closed doors stays behind closed doors, and all that, to advertise that you are a member of a certain road safety group, then advocate or show in real time incidents of law breaking has got to attract some form of criticism. I mean there are some folk on these forums who dont think that the police should be able to exceed the speed limit. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you want to advertise then you should seek permission from the individual organisation quoted. Thats just my opinion like it or lump it thats what I say.

kfae8959
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:38 am

ZZR1400 wrote:My understanding is that he's an IAM examiner on both cars and bikes, and as such is technically in the employ of the IAM


The IAM does not employ its examiners. We are volunteers, just as Observers are.

David

crr003
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby crr003 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:42 pm

ZZR1400 wrote:...
My understanding is that he's an IAM examiner on both cars and bikes, and as such is technically in the employ of the IAM, who's main mission in life is to promote road safety. Is it professional and within the parameters of IAM mission statement to appear to advocate exceeding the speed limit in certain circumstances? My understanding is that whilst an examiner has plenty of discretion on a test, the one area he has no discretion on is legality.

I don't think he was speaking as an IAM/RoADAR Examiner? His advice on how to pass an IAM/RoADAR test is provided in another of his videos (to summarise the speed bit - "keep to the limit/speedo").

I've driven with a few IAM and/or RoADAR Examiners when they haven't been wearing the IAM/RoADAR hat. All of them had a realistic and sensible approach to the NSL limit.

User avatar
jcochrane
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby jcochrane » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:34 pm

I expect many Observers/Tutors have been in the position of saying, or not saying something to a trainee whilst wearing the IAM/RoADA hat. For example, for those who have perfected heel"n"toe, left foot braking, trail braking etc. fully understand the extra safety benefits of these techniques but know they would be frowned upon by the organisations concerned for their tests so don't normally teach them. If I am asked, however, I will answer honestly but make it clear that it is best not to use them, unless ok'd by the Examiner, on test but keep to the written curriculum for that organisation.

kfae8959
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby kfae8959 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:15 am

If candidates could use those techniques well and to their advantage, I would be delighted. Unfortunately it's rare even to see rev-matching attempted.

But we digress...

David

ZZR1400
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby ZZR1400 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:46 am

In an earlier post on this topic I asked 2 questions, one of which was the same question but asked in a different way to the original poster, and all the responses since then have been measured and respectful giving individual’s views on the questions posed.

However, on my settings I had ticked “allow members to email me” and I received 2 cowardly emails from the same individual, neither of which were pleasant. The first was rude because in their view I’d had the audacity to criticise their mate Reg Local and this was followed by a further note of a slightly threatening nature.

As this was my 1st post on the forum, I wasn’t sure what to expect but I naturally assumed that this isn’t normal behaviour. I’m sure the individual doesn’t “know me from Adam”, and for all they know I could be a vulnerable person who’d get upset and anxious from their malicious emails.
In these enlightened times I’d expect people to act in a responsible manner and with respect to other posters, even if they didn’t agree with the views expressed.

And for the record for this individual, all I did was pose 2 questions, the 1st of which was similar to the original poster’s question without giving my views one way or the other. I wonder if the original poster also received any malevolent emails??

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby akirk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 am

ZZR1400 wrote:In an earlier post on this topic I asked 2 questions, one of which was the same question but asked in a different way to the original poster, and all the responses since then have been measured and respectful giving individual’s views on the questions posed.

However, on my settings I had ticked “allow members to email me” and I received 2 cowardly emails from the same individual, neither of which were pleasant. The first was rude because in their view I’d had the audacity to criticise their mate Reg Local and this was followed by a further note of a slightly threatening nature.

As this was my 1st post on the forum, I wasn’t sure what to expect but I naturally assumed that this isn’t normal behaviour. I’m sure the individual doesn’t “know me from Adam”, and for all they know I could be a vulnerable person who’d get upset and anxious from their malicious emails.
In these enlightened times I’d expect people to act in a responsible manner and with respect to other posters, even if they didn’t agree with the views expressed.

And for the record for this individual, all I did was pose 2 questions, the 1st of which was similar to the original poster’s question without giving my views one way or the other. I wonder if the original poster also received any malevolent emails??


Your original post was worded well and raised valid points...
I am disappointed that any member should contact another by email in a manner which is as you describe (and if anyone receives emails of that nature based on forum activity, I am happy to be involved - just send me a PM) - I would hope that the member concerned perhaps might revisit whether that was the correct email to send...

The purpose of this forum is to support each other in our desire to improve as drivers - yes, there will be areas where we disagree and that is a part of the fun of discussion and debate, however disagreement can be done well (v.doing it badly) - and certainly there is an expectation that underlying all will be politeness and good humour.

We also need to be very aware that this forum is open to anyone - it will contain members of IAM / RoSPA / other organisations who have an interest in advanced driving - but it is not exclusive to them and anyone can sign up - the only check we do is to look at IP / emails / etc. to reduce the risk of spammers joining. That means that members on here could have many different agendas - and so what we discuss here must be considered to be a public discussion.

Advanced driving is a good concept and aim - improving our driving can be fun and increase safety - however, it does bring up discussions where there may be a number of different views - speed is an obvious one - current legislation is easy to pick holes in - 100mph on a dry day in a good car with an excellent driver at the wheel is likely to be safer than 70mph in the wet with a learner behind the wheel of a poorly maintained hatchback - but the law is still black and white. While this forum is open to discussion of many aspects of driving - including the debate and philosophy around legalities / etc. ultimately the law is the law - so in a public space, there are some discussions which are sensible and others which are perhaps best reserved for elsewhere - equally, a video by Reg Local if it implies a disregard for the law is a choice he has made and it is valid to debate how sensible it might be to make such a public statement...

so I would hope that your experience hasn't damaged your feelings about this forum - we can't control emails which occur outside this board - but if we are made aware of members who have used the contact details shared on here for emails which are not friendly then we will be asking those members to a) reconsider b) find another platform for their activity... I run this forum at my own cost in money and time - I have very low patience with anyone who abuses it...

regards

Alasdair
(Forum owner)

martine
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby martine » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39 am

Crickey - I never expected the original post (OP) to generate such a discussion. Well said Alasdair :D !

Let's chill everyone - the OP is the thoughts of one individual and as I said, he's carefully worded it to try and avoid his thoughts and actions being misinterpreted.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

User avatar
jcochrane
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:01 pm

kfae8959 wrote:If candidates could use those techniques well and to their advantage, I would be delighted. Unfortunately it's rare even to see rev-matching attempted.

But we digress...

David

Doesn't happen often, perhaps only 3 or 4 times in the 40+ years I've been an Observer. However I do get asked about them quite often which is great to find people who have enough interest in driving to know ask about these things.

Shame we might not be able to meet up this year but you never know with a bit of luck we might.

User avatar
pete g
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:41 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Reg Local and speed...

Postby pete g » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:59 pm

He gets a 'YES' from me... :-)
Br1stol IAM National Observer
IAM Motorcycle
MSA - Bristol Pegasus MC.


Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests