Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

The first test you do - organised by the government.
Strangely Brown

Re: Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 pm

It depends. I never take any signal at face value... but if supported by other evidence then probably yes.

Do you still maintain that a left signal there has "no use"?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 pm

I'd agree to the first line of your comment. :cheers:

So the left signal is no different to no signal for going straight there ... if you are going to wait for other supporting evidence (like approach speed and/or lack of steering input).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:16 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I'd agree to the first line of your comment. :cheers:

So the left signal is no different to no signal for going straight there ... if you are going to wait for other supporting evidence (like approach speed and/or lack of steering input).

It's different to "no signal" because it adds to the weight of evidence and helps to remove any ambiguity. The decision whether or not to proceed is still down to the oncomer but I will have done all that I can to make my intentions clear.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:What use is a left signal to anyone if heading North East. That is straight with no ambiguity ... or am I missing something obvious?

Although Strangely Brown explained, the discussion missed the most useful aspect.

If you were heading north-east and indicated left on approach, a road user heading south-west might be emboldened to continue ahead, blocking vehicles joining from the right, thus allowing you to proceed.
Last edited by Gareth on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 am

I can see the point of a brief left turn signal, but, it would depend on the type of road user it is aimed at.
As with all this it depends on the situation you see, when you arrive at the junction.
The junction I mentioned (in Shoreham) does have ample room for other types of signal, position in particular.
I think that as with all signals, not just indicators, the total effect should come into play.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Gareth wrote:Although Strangely Brown explained, the discussion missed the most useful aspect.

If you were heading north-east and indicated left on approach, a road user heading south-west might be emboldened to continue ahead, blocking vehicles joining from the right, thus allowing you to proceed.

Interesting discussion/points. I'm not averse to 'unusual signalling'. At this junction I regularly signal right on the motorcycle to let cars waiting in that junction know I am not going straight on (which is the signal they probably get from my positioning for a tight 90 degree bend with large vehicles coming in from the right of screen).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:34 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:'unusual signalling'

I thought everyone did it. I'm repeatedly quite surprised to find this is not so.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:43 pm

In Mikes example I would give a brief right signal if I thought that a waiting driver might pull out.

Here is an example of what I would consider a confusing signal. The junction below is a mile or so from the example in my previous post. Again this is a mini roundabout on a T junction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.74016 ... a=!3m1!1e3

This was earlier today. We were approaching this junction from the North. A driver approaching from the South gave a right signal, then as she moved onto the roundabout gave a left exit signal. I feel that the right signal would indicate a U turn on this roundabout. Similarly on the first of the double mini roundabouts in the example below, where drivers heading NE often signal right on approach to the firs of the roundabouts when they are actually turning right into Herbert Avenue at the second roundabout. Drivers heading SW but turning right at the second roundabout, take it for granted that the right signal is for the second roundabout, not a U turn signal which is sometimes the case.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.74485 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Nigel.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:38 pm

fungus wrote:Here is an example of what I would consider a confusing signal. The junction below is a mile or so from the example in my previous post. Again this is a mini roundabout on a T junction.

This was earlier today. We were approaching this junction from the North. A driver approaching from the South gave a right signal, then as she moved onto the roundabout gave a left exit signal. I feel that the right signal would indicate a U turn on this roundabout.

Isn't that just one of 'indicate right to go straight' drivers? I thought thay had all died off but then I saw (maybe on here or was it PistonHeads) that some new drivers are being taught this in some places (or perhaps the trainee is misunderstanding what they have been told).

fungus wrote:Similarly on the first of the double mini roundabouts in the example below, where drivers heading NE often signal right on approach to the firs of the roundabouts when they are actually turning right into Herbert Avenue at the second roundabout. Drivers heading SW but turning right at the second roundabout, take it for granted that the right signal is for the second roundabout, not a U turn signal which is sometimes the case.

Nigel.

I'm not surprised people signal right on approach to the first RAB. Look at the paint on the road and the sign on approach.

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
fungus wrote:Here is an example of what I would consider a confusing signal. The junction below is a mile or so from the example in my previous post. Again this is a mini roundabout on a T junction.

This was earlier today. We were approaching this junction from the North. A driver approaching from the South gave a right signal, then as she moved onto the roundabout gave a left exit signal. I feel that the right signal would indicate a U turn on this roundabout.

Isn't that just one of 'indicate right to go straight' drivers? I thought thay had all died off but then I saw (maybe on here or was it PistonHeads) that some new drivers are being taught this in some places (or perhaps the trainee is misunderstanding what they have been told).

fungus wrote:Similarly on the first of the double mini roundabouts in the example below, where drivers heading NE often signal right on approach to the firs of the roundabouts when they are actually turning right into Herbert Avenue at the second roundabout. Drivers heading SW but turning right at the second roundabout, take it for granted that the right signal is for the second roundabout, not a U turn signal which is sometimes the case.

Nigel.

I'm not surprised people signal right on approach to the first RAB. Look at the paint on the road and the sign on approach.

Yes, it can be misleading if you haven't notice the double roundabout sign further back which depicts the layout accurately, but it is obvious that there is no road to the right off the first roundabout as you approach.

Nigel.

Return to “Learner Driving”