Cast your mind back ... ADIs ... Hazard Perception Test

The first test you do - organised by the government.
Horse

Cast your mind back ... ADIs ... Hazard Perception Test

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Anyone here who was an ADI when HPT was introduced? (2002ish)

Did you change the content of your on-road training specifically to include increased hazard perception, etc?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Re: Cast your mind back ... ADIs ... Hazard Perception Test

Postby sussex2 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 pm

I taught a scaled down version of Roadcraft, not entirely, but when the pupil could appreciate it and that was not all of them.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:07 pm

sussex2 wrote:I taught a scaled down version of Roadcraft, not entirely, but when the pupil could appreciate it and that was not all of them.

Thanks.

Dud you alter anything to align with the 'developing' hazard = click aspect of the HPT?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:51 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I taught a scaled down version of Roadcraft, not entirely, but when the pupil could appreciate it and that was not all of them.

Thanks.

Dud you alter anything to align with the 'developing' hazard = click aspect of the HPT?

It was a long time ago and there is only so much a L driver can take it (most of them anyway) there will have been exceptions.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:05 am

:)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Horse wrote:...

I'm far too young to have been troubled by this. When I was qualifying there was plenty of online material to help with the HPT.
I've heard some of the older ADIs say things like "when you see a road sign on the clip, in real driving you check your mirrors; on the HPT clip you'd click once"
Never understood that myself.
It all fits under Observation, Anticipation and Planning.
The various "techniques" for double or triple clicking are just to try and score enough points to avoid failure and another £23 test fee.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:06 pm

When introduced, I borrowed a DVD from the library. Tried it, dropped just one point, so thought I'd probably got the hang of passing :)

Click once when you think it's a hazard
Click again when DVSA think it is

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:04 pm

Horse wrote:When introduced, I borrowed a DVD from the library. Tried it, dropped just one point, so thought I'd probably got the hang of passing :)

Unusual - experienced/old drivers usually have a problem. The normal excuse is they see the hazard before a learner would and click too early. In the early days I heard of "Class 1" plod who'd retired and were taking up ADIing struggling with the HPT.
The technique of "click-pause-click click" developed.
The secret is understanding the word "developing" hazard rather than "possible" hazard.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:03 pm

crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:

Unusual - experienced/old drivers usually have a problem. The normal excuse is they see the hazard before a learner would and click too early. In the early days I heard of "Class 1" plod who'd retired and were taking up ADIing struggling with the HPT.
The technique of "click-pause-click click" developed.
The secret is understanding the word "developing" hazard rather than "possible" hazard.

I suppose that I'd heard of those issues and so worked around them.

Ironically, blue book covers this two-stage approach with the definition of a hazard, 'actual or potential' (albeit needing to be reversed).

DSA as was sent out info DVDs to training centres. I managed to beat Foal to the DVD player and was watching it. He toddled up and ask what it was. I explained that hazards would be identified by a yellow circle. We both looked at an 'urban' scene playing. He pointed at an oncoming HGV and said "a lorry is a hazard, Daddy". We both continued watching as it passed the camera car, but didn't warrant a yellow circle :)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Most drivers do little or anything about any situation until they have to, are forced to.
The idea of spotting hazards developing is a rare thing. The idea that to have good reactions makes a better driver persists.
Today a drive of 180k down the E15 I saw people reacting to and not anticipating that something may happen.
It's not general though and I saw, as I often do, the occasional driver who knows the game and works at it.

Return to “Learner Driving”