YouTube channel recommendations?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

YouTube channel recommendations?

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Hello all!

Since the lockdown's happening - I suddenly have more free time, but I can't go out and practise driving as much as I'd like to - the only opportunities are the very short trip down to the supermarket or a 20 minute drive to the dog walking park!

Since I'm cooped up inside - might as well be watching videos and improving my driving theory knowledge, so any recommendations much appreciated!

One more thing - what do you all do to get into a 'driving' mindframe before you set off on any journeys? I ask as I've noted that the standard of my driving is wildly different depending on my mood before I get into the car - which isn't surprising.

Since my Picanto has no rev counter - I've had to get into the habit of changing into specific 'driving' shoes with thin soles (that I keep in the car) so that I can feel the pedals, just to make sure my clutching/gear changing isn't too rough and jerky. I noticed over the few times I've been pootling about that I consistently drive 'better', not just that my gear changes are a tad smoother, but my whole attitude towards other road users and their mistakes etc is considerably improved but only when I wear those specific shoes. I've been out for a couple of short drives wearing whatever footwear I'd walk out of the house with, and it's clear that my driving style and attitude is different - a bit more aggressive and less tolerant of others' mistakes etc.

Psychologically, I think having that short shoe-changing ritual is actually forcibly changing my mindset from whatever it is at the time to a focused 'driver' mindset, which in turn improves my overall journey.

Wondered what else I could be doing between unlocking the car, and setting off on my trip to reinforce the 'focused driver' mindset.

Horse

Re: YouTube channel recommendations?

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Good questions!

Training courses for motorcyclists at the Nurburgring used to start with a series of relaxation exercises. Try to ensure that you're sat comfortably, the mirrors are adjusted well, etc. All of that will help focus your mind. Then, when rolling, use commentary to talk yourself up to and through situations. I appreciate this may not work so well for you, but saying out aloud (rather than internalising) often helps.

If you don't have time to comment on what you can see, how it might affect you, and how you need to react, then consider slowing.

Also, count surprises- how often you missed something potentially important.

Of course, that's all for when we're allowed back out!

Until then, try GTR's YouTube, an ever-growing resource. Also there's Reg Local's stuff.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Try Reg Local on youtube for all sorts of driving tips. Start on fundamentals and work through, they are brilliant

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:25 pm

And Ronald Finger - dedication to the restoration of a Fiero

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgvRHI ... Q4Dcl_9YqQ

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:51 pm

I too would be interested in any other recommendations for Advanced Car channels.

Reg Local is good, but he too has now got himself one of those nasty two wheeled things :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fDyu ... p-3COgsyRQ The only thing I'd say is he has an interesting view on the speedo.

There's some advanced bike related stuff and not so much cars. Though a lot of the principles carry over, if not the use of the controls.

Roadcraft Nottingham is a good channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/RoadcraftNottingham

You could also try FortNine. Lost of interesting stuff with high production values. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNSMdQ ... CZjfK2C7dQ

And see my footer ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:56 pm

Keep the recommendations coming - I'm aware of Reg Local and have watched a few of his videos! Plenty of new channels to subscribe to, though!

I must say the one thing I find annoying about a lot of informative YouTube channels about advanced driving is the lack of subtitles! I'm profoundly deaf, so no chance of understanding spoken speech through my ears, and lipreading goes right out of the window when the driver isn't looking directly into the camera, let alone in the picture!

YouTube's auto-generated captions feature is surprisingly good, but not perfect, and sometimes they're complete gibberish! Sometimes there are just no captions, especially when the speech is somewhat drowned out by background/road noise! Regardless, I still get the gist of what's going on, as I just pay attention to what's happening in the screen!

vanman

Postby vanman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:29 am

Complete gibberish! depends on which advanced driving group you join. :o But yes compete gibberish can be the norm. :D

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:33 am

vanman wrote:Complete gibberish! depends on which advanced driving group you join. :o But yes compete gibberish can be the norm. :D

Constantly amazed at some of the rubbish from what are believed to be respected reliable sources which people just take for granted. My approach is always to question, try out and keep an open mind with a good dose of common sense. Most things in driving you can work out the best practices just by thinking it through. There is however huge value in high quality coaching as this can provide another perspective on your drive and a good coach can provide thought provoking guidance for you to consider to help you develop your driving.

Regarding the original posters comments...ritual, such as you donning your driving shoes, is a well known technique used in sport, arts etc. to help get into the right mental state to fully commit to the job in hand.I like to sit in the car for a few moments take a few deep breaths whilst looking straight ahead to focus my mind and to totally commit to the drive. I've done meditation from the age of three so this works for me.
A thought about not feeling the pedals. Have you tried placing your right heel on the floorboard between the throttle and brake such that either (or both for heel n toe) can be operated by slightly twisting the foot, without moving the heel off the floorboard, to operate the pedals through ankle flexing. Keeping the heel fixed provides a good reference point to where the pedals are and encourages ankle flexion which gives more operational precision of the two pedals as the foot is also more stable. If the heel is lifted off the floor movement comes from the leg and hip with less accuracy than through the ankle. With the clutch you could try allowing the heel to rest on the floorboard with a little bit of dragging if required. A slight pause as you get to the bite point with the heel on the floorboard and at this point flex the ankle through the critical take up of the drive. Works for me and might or might not work for you. Ive successfully used these techniques wearing a wide variety of footwear including wellington boots and walking boots.

Return to “General Chat”