Empty roads

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
vanman

Empty roads

Postby vanman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Looks great for us drivers, however just been out there. Watch out for those that think as above that the roads are empty. At least two looked straight at me and pulled out! Looking NOT seeing just expecting. Many years ago because our factory got so hot in the afternoons we started work at 0600 and finished at noon. At that time I was on the Honda, headlight on, but still had at least one emergency stop per morning, just saying.....

dvenman

Re: Empty roads

Postby dvenman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:37 pm

I drove back from Scotland yesterday. Tebay to Bristol in a shade over 3 1/2 hours...no traffic issues at all, even in rush hour

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:56 pm

vanman wrote:Looks great for us drivers, however just been out there. Watch out for those that think as above that the roads are empty. At least two looked straight at me and pulled out! Looking NOT seeing just expecting.

Don't forget some lateral movement within your lane on approach can break you out of the background. Sadly the headlight that we are all forced to have on can actually contribute to poor judgement of distance.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Lateral movement, Splendid idea not just before to avoid impact.
Right ok so that's lift off,mirror, move over,cover horn,brake, use horn, mirror, change lanes and swear with appropriate hand signal if time :D
Makes msm look like a doddle. :lol:

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:10 am

Lateral movement on the approach to junctions is a very old trick when on two wheels to get spotted and works quite well.

Getting back to what vanman raised that happened recently when driving a car, I suspect a mix of saccades, pillar edge blindness or attitude was to blame. What vamnan describes happens frequently now and it's getting worse in tandem with the increase in bad attitude.The other factors have never changed over the years but attitude sadly has which might explain why these incidents are on the increase.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 am

jcochrane wrote:Getting back to what vanman raised that happened recently when driving a car

Observation ;) Vanman said he was ON his Honda with the headlight on.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

hir

Postby hir » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:13 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Getting back to what vanman raised that happened recently when driving a car

Observation ;) Vanman said he was ON his Honda with the headlight on.

But it was many years ago that vanman was riding his Honda with the light on, not recently. John C is like me. we can't remember what happened many years ago! :lol:

Oh, no. But wait a minute. John was referring to what happen to vanman recently; not years ago.

He said..."Many years ago because our factory got so hot in the afternoons we started work at 0600 and finished at noon. At that time I was on the Honda, headlight on, but still had at least one emergency stop per morning, just saying....."

So, using my observation, I think I'm right in saying that John C and vanman were talking in the present, both of them. The Honda incident was "many years ago".

But, seriously, junctions are a problem. When out with associates I'm forever going on about almost 50% (I believe its about 45%, actually) of accidents happen at junctions; and the causes are failure to look properly (probably more to do with saccades as John C mentioned) and failure to judge the other vehicle's speed. I remind associates of this everytime we go past a junction with a vehicle threatening. Associates are forbidden to use the phrase... "the driver has seen me" during comentary. All we can be sure of is that the driver has... "looked my way". Which gives us a modicum of comfort but, as vanman points out, not a lot.
Last edited by hir on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:22 pm

hir wrote: junctions are a problem. When out with associates I'm forever going on about almost 50% (I believe its about 45%, actually) of accidents happen at junctions; and the causes are failure to look properly (probably more to do with saccades as John C mentioned) and failure to judge the other vehicle's speed.

If you want to improve your knowledge around this:

https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress.com/

Have a read. There's a book too, perhaps easier than onscreen reading, only ten quid:

http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/kevin-wi ... 66721.html
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:16 pm

hir wrote:So, using my observation, I think I'm right in saying that John C and vanman were talking in the present, both of them. The Honda incident was "many years ago".

You are correct.

I'll go and stand in the corner and write "I must read a post more carefully" 100 times. :)

Return to “General Chat”