Rear Fog Light Etiquette...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
vanman

Re: Rear Fog Light Etiquette...

Postby vanman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 am

jont- wrote:It's just part of the wider question - why is society so tolerant of shit drivers?

'cos there are so many of them.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 am

jont- wrote:It's just part of the wider question - why is society so tolerant of shit drivers?

So that's why people call me anti-social...

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:01 pm

dvenman wrote:

So that's why people call me anti-social...

Of course there maybe a totally different reason :lol:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 am

The whole purpose if the official state driving test is to ensure that those too dangerous to be allowed on the road do not gain a licence. That is the standard and IMO very few peoples driving goes beyond that standard.
I believe it to be a myth that experience of itself will bring an improvement.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:06 am

sussex2 wrote: I believe it to be a myth that experience of itself will bring an improvement.

The stats for crash involvement post-test show IIRC that there is a learning curve, reduced with age. However, long-term, it's likely that there's no substantial further learning. I'll try and find a graph showing this.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 am

Not quite the one I was thinking of (which shows crash involvement by age at test pass), but it's close:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The ... _276838476

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:17 am

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:55 am

Interesting that according to that graph people licenced later have more accidents right into middle age. I am surprised that after 10 years of driving someone licenced at 21 has a higher accident rate than someone licenced at 18 - providing they survive the particularly high accident rate in their first year of driving!

It looks as though a mature driver who started at 18 has about 2 accidents per million km, or 600k miles. If the average annual mileage is about 10k, that suggests that an average accident rate is one every 30 years. I don't know what category of accident this graph is supposed to measure but I thought the average accident rate was very much higher. I seem to remember old Roadcraft suggesting one every 7 years.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:01 am

waremark wrote: I don't know what category of accident this graph is supposed to measure

You'd probably need to delve into the original research, e.g. "1 The effects of age and experience on collision risk, from Maycock et al. (1991; figure reproduced from Maycock, 2002)"

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:15 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote: I believe it to be a myth that experience of itself will bring an improvement.

The stats for crash involvement post-test show IIRC that there is a learning curve, reduced with age. However, long-term, it's likely that there's no substantial further learning. I'll try and find a graph showing this.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.

I think you are correct and often when I get in a car with someone who has been driving for years, they still drive like a learner. Or, use motos and methods they learned many years ago and have not adapted to technological or methodical changes over the years.

Return to “General Chat”