Potential downside of speed enforcement?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Potential downside of speed enforcement?

Postby martine » Wed May 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

vanman

Re: Potential downside of speed enforcement?

Postby vanman » Wed May 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Wonder if any IAM (sorry Roadsmart) candidates suffer from the same problems as the strict group. ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 02, 2018 3:15 pm

If you gave people a defined leeway, surely they'd just re-calibrate. I know that's what I'd do.

Regarding IAM, how would you like it handled? Say "stick to the limit or thereabouts". You should be driving/riding inside your own limits AND those of the law. Not difficult to understand. Not had any issues with Associates over concentrating on the speed with the majority of their riding. The only time I've seen a problem is when overtaking (or deciding whether to). Most are used to nicking a few miles per hour (ok, nicking a lot!) and find it hard to do a planned, safe, overtake within the posted limit ... or make a decision to stick at the following position.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Once in a while, particularly in the occasional cases where they've been told they will certainly fail if they stray even a fraction over the speed limit. I have taken to emphasising that I have got discretion in that, and that if any situation poses a choice between safety and legality, I will expect them to choose the safe course of action.

David

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed May 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I think it is not helped by the increasing use of inappropriate speed limits in our country - so that driving intuitively at a safe pace is now more likely to mean that you are breaking the law... so now as well as observations and safety etc. feeding into choice of speed you have to keep an eye on the speedo...

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm

akirk wrote:... you have to keep an eye on the speedo...

I think that a lot of people do watch their speedo too much if they are sticking to the limits.

How many of us do that, or do we set our speed and then listen to the engine?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed May 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Many or even most Associates have some trouble obeying all speed limits. In my experience it is generally a failure of planning rather than execution - they forget they are in a 30, or that they must try to get to that speed by the limit sign. It is not difficult to get it roughly right if they remember to try. I tell them that no examiner will fail them for a couple of miles an hour indicated over, but that more than 5 mph over will probably only be ignored if the examiner really likes their driving.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
akirk wrote:... you have to keep an eye on the speedo...

I think that a lot of people do watch their speedo too much if they are sticking to the limits.

How many of us do that, or do we set our speed and then listen to the engine?

As I can't see the speed of my Fiesta below 80mph from the passenger seat I am very aware of engine sound. I advised pupils ( I have now retired as an ADI) to use 3rd gear in a 30mph limit and listen to the engine sound. With practice some will be able to control their speed with some degree of accuracy listening to the engine/ road noise.

As to Martins post, it's not rocket science that asking the average driver to keep to the speed limit when most are not able to do so without looking at their speedo is going to divert that drivers attention away from the more important task of paying attention to the road general environment.

Nigel.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Should you be driving from the passenger seat? :lol:

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Thu May 03, 2018 8:33 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Should you be driving from the passenger seat? :lol:

You never know - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43934504

Return to “General Chat”