Forum Names

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
exportmanuk

Forum Names

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:13 pm

Hello

Thought I would start a new thread, following on from Rik mentioning names

My pseudo name has been in use since the early 1980s, it was suggested to me as a CB handle by the HGV drivers I managed, stuck with it ever since. I use it (with or without the UK Bit) on just about every forum I participate on.

Some others have explained their in the past, though maybe offer an opportunity to put them all in the same place
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

RiK

Re: Forum Names

Postby RiK » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:23 pm

Well to continue from the other thread, mine was pretty simple really as about a million years ago, when I was a student, it was somewhat awkward in our group of 12 students as there were three guys called Richard. One was most insistent that he was only ever called Richard, the other guy preferred Rich, and after my rather poor impression of Rik Mayall’s character in The Young Ones one night in the SU bar, they started calling me Rik and it stuck. Since then most of my oldest friends IRL and online have called me Rik, everyone else cals me Rich and it’s only when I’m in trouble with my mum that I’ll get called Richard :lol:

The styling with the capital K also stems back to those days, when as a computer science student I had a friend who was a games coder (still is) and his nickname was YaK so I blatantly copied his idea as I thought it looked cool on the 3 character displays that were common on the high score tables of the arcade games in the student union.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:43 pm

Monsieur Triquet is an elderly French character in the opera "Eugene Onegin". Why? No idea ...

Jim Petts
Occupied North Berkshire

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:47 pm

I've been on several boards as Horse (only one that I couldn't as it was already taken).

It's a nickname given years ago (I worked with Burt, Bedlam, Heebie Jeebie, Blurry, Golden, Goggle McD, Pluto and others).

All names earned. My was due to a physical thing :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:00 pm

See my signature :)

And for many years before I was STX1300MAN on many boards/forums while riding Honda Pan-Europeans.

On YouTube, Facebook I'm just my real name and going forward I'll use it on any new platforms if it allows (it is a VERY common name. When I bought my house many years ago I had to sign at the solicitors to say I wasn't one of nearly 50 others, with the same middle name, who were bankrupt!)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:56 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:See my signature :)

On another forum I'm on, the admin has been known to change login names for folk who have used a similar scheme then update their vehicle :lol:

Mine is Jon T... but on one forum "jont" was taken, so I stuck a ''-' on the end. Seemed easier to keep using it elsewhere too.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:47 pm

Last edited by Horse on Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:10 pm

One of the Trinity Tiddlers referenced by Lieutenant The Honourable George Colthurst St. Barleigh.

https://blackadder.fandom.com/wiki/Trinity_College_Tiddlywinks
https://allblackadderscripts.blogspot.com

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:23 am

It turns out I have limited imagination ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:50 am

Gareth wrote:It turns out I have limited imagination ...

Instead, integrity and honesty?

Return to “General Chat”