Has IAM Roadsmart given up on advanced training?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: Has IAM Roadsmart given up on advanced training?

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed May 18, 2022 5:55 am

IME, it is not possible to reach a standard, e.g. IAM, RoADAR, whatever, then revert to type and later expect to be able to just switch it on again whenever you want it. A skill not practiced is a skill that will, largely, be lost. Use it, or lose it. Switching between different styles, as Mark describes, is something else and, arguably, takes even more effort than simply maintaining a standard. I see style as a subset of standard.

After my first RoSPA Gold pass I spent the next 3 years driving without any conscious thought or effort. Why would I need to? I have reached the standard. Right? ... Wrong! The next test saw only a silver because the skills had degraded. That was a wake-up call and ever since then I have never "practiced" for a test. Rather every drive is as if I have an examiner sitting next to me. The style of the drive may differ depending on circumstance as may the imaginary examiner but every drive is always a test drive.

There is no point in practicing and then putting on a show for the examiner. All the examiner sees is the result of your efforts, he does not see how you drive, every day. Rather than the standard being somewhere above "normal" I aim to raise "normal" to be the standard [that I want]. Then, should I lapse and revert to type that "fall" is only to the new normal.

Every test since that first wake-up has been a case of, "This is me. This is how I drive. Grade it as you see fit". At no point do I practice just for the test. I just turn up, drive and enjoy a couple of hours [usually] with someone else who enjoys driving.

I hope that make sense.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed May 18, 2022 6:37 am

waremark wrote:Does anybody think they enter bends too quickly?

I did. At one time our stressed friend did. In my case probably coming from an excess of exuberance and optimism, coupled with not paying enough attention to the important thing of the moment. I knew it from having to untidily fix it up, and from wifely comments!

I think the more general point is that drivers (riders also?) tend to enter bends at their fastest 'comfortable' speeds irrespective of how well they've assessed it and, often, without a margin for stuff getting worse.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 18, 2022 7:25 am

Regarding keeping your standard up: partof the course result needs to be a mindset change. Without this the skills will fade.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed May 18, 2022 7:59 am

Gareth wrote:

I think the more general point is that drivers (riders also?) tend to enter bends at their fastest 'comfortable' speeds irrespective of how well they've assessed it and, often, without a margin for stuff getting worse.

I did a series of videos called "What's round the corner" to highlight the need to be able to stop safely. These were excerpts of rides on country roads where pedestrians, parked cars, mud etc. 'appeared'.

I do film my rides regularly and review moments that made me go 'hmmm' when out there. Tucking left for right bends are great examples when confronted by an oversized tractor and I pass through safely. A couple of times I've thought "it's a good job I'm on the bike and can nip through" or "oh ****! If that had been a lot wider I'm not sure I'd have stopped". I'm sure watching our own dashcam footage regularly would be an eye opener.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri May 20, 2022 2:11 am

Gareth wrote:

I did. At one time our stressed friend did. In my case probably coming from an excess of exuberance and optimism, coupled with not paying enough attention to the important thing of the moment. I knew it from having to untidily fix it up, and from wifely comments!

When I was very young (pre legal driving age) I used to experiment driving the same bend over and over again at increasing speeds, varying braking, steering and throttle endeavouring to learn as much as I could. I think, having experienced some "interesting" moments whilst experimenting I got entering bends too fast out of my system.
When I teach I always say to reduce the speed to a bend to below your comfort level. This allows for a bit of reserve if things start to go wrong and also because at some point you need to accelerate. If the speed is not below your comfort level there is a reluctance to apply the throttle, for balance or progress, at the optimum moment resulting in a delayed/late transition to acceleration for best outcomes.

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:10 pm

waremark wrote:for you to be called Advanced, you have to demonstrate that you can maintain safety and smoothness when you are taking your spouse to A&E

So, it would be best if you rushed to A&E ASAP … before starting a ten-hour wait for an A&E clinician to be available :cry:

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:45 pm

I don't give a toot about Certificates etc. I just want to make sure that I can continue to drive at a reasonable level until the curtain of age shuts me down ... I will be 80 come next September and I don't want to join the 40mph mob ...

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:07 pm

I stayed on and became an Observer that keeps my skills OK and explaining to associates various aspect of Roadcraft helps expand my understanding.
That is partly why I have remained as an observer even if I have not been happy with IAM HQ for a long time

I am still learning and hope to continue doing so for a long time yet
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:26 pm

exportmanuk wrote:I have remained as an observer even if I have not been happy with IAM HQ for a long time

In many ways, IAM HQ's direction seems at odds with the membership (at least, with its motorcycling and car enthusiast membership segments). How sustainable is it?

For example, the over-simplistic "speeding is as antisocial and dangerous as drunk driving" messages put off potential members and some existing ones.

Often when I read IAM HQ's messaging, I wonder if it's forgotten (or taken for granted) the primary source of its income. That isn't sustainable for any charitable organisation.

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:33 am

Roadsmart Skills Days "The sessions are open to both IAM RoadSmart members and the general public, allowing attendees a rare chance to learn precision driving and riding techniques on a racing circuit, and to develop new skills that they can use when back on public roads."
Just wondered what skills we are allowed to use when back on public roads? After a Thruxton car day, I was a lot quicker up the A303 on the way home, perhaps NOT what they intended. :D

Return to “General Chat”