Has IAM Roadsmart given up on advanced training?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Gareth

Re: Has IAM Roadsmart given up on advanced training?

Postby Gareth » Sat May 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Horse wrote:
Gareth wrote:when people are anxious or flustered from feeling the pressure of time, their attention and roadcraft often goes to pot. People who still drive/ride well, safely, in such circumstances are clearly more advanced than those who don't.
If that's what the IAM cover, then fair enough :)

I tell my associates that the level they're expected to reach is where they can drive safely and legally for an hour and a quarter as if they are under a great deal of time pressure, (such as in the examples already given). I also say that the level of urgency isn't required for normal driving but, if they wish to meet the standard, they must be able to demonstrated that capability.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun May 15, 2022 3:11 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:
Horse wrote:
And 'maintain' safety? If you increase your speed, what other changes are you making to balance the resulting reduction in safety (because of the effects on thinking and braking distance and reduced safety margins e.g. stopping distance around blind bends, the likely increased severity of a crash, etc.)?

Hang on, let me just check what forum I'm in..........
I thought I was in BRAKE for a minute.
'Advanced driving? Pointless. Just leave home an hour earlier and drive at 30 (except in a 20 obvs!)'.

Just for my own information and your entertainment, would you take the time to explain which bits of what I said were wrong?

Concerning that bit? You're assuming an increase in speed is automatically reducing safety (or not "maintaining" safety). If you're well within the vehicle's, road's and your capabilities, you can't tell me that doing 55 instead of 45 is going to kill kittens. OK, by a law of physics it is possible to show that there's more energy released (if there's a bump), but this only leads to the argument of putting a man with a red flag in front. If slow is safe, slower is safer.

And - I love a bit of selective quoting as much as the next man, but what about this bit -

Horse wrote:Have you ever tried driving 'against a clock', to reduce journey time? How much time, over what length of journey, do you think could legally be 'saved'?

That's what triggered me as a BRAKE like concept of driving! I read that as "leave earlier; drive slower - you won't gain anything by being speedy".

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun May 15, 2022 3:52 pm

crr003 wrote:Concerning that bit? You're assuming an increase in speed is automatically reducing safety (or not "maintaining" safety). If you're well within the vehicle's, road's and your capabilities ... OK, by a law of physics it is possible to show that there's more energy released (if there's a bump)

Here you go, I'll make it easier for you. Here's the list, just tells us which bits are wrong:

- Extended thinking and braking distances
- Reduced safety margins e.g. same forward view around blind bends Vs longer stopping distance
- Increased severity of a crash

And - I love a bit of selective quoting as much as the next man, but what about this bit -

Horse wrote:Have you ever tried driving 'against a clock', to reduce journey time? How much time, over what length of journey, do you think could legally be 'saved'?

That's what triggered me as a BRAKE like concept of driving! I read that as "leave earlier; drive slower - you won't gain anything by being speedy".

You might 'gain', but those (as listed by Gareth) - even cumulative - are likely to be small reductions in time for the journey. If your main way of gaining is by increased speed, then there is increased risk (reduced safety). Hence the question about how the level of safety can be maintained?

Surely you can give a better answer? Rather than relying on distractions about 'selective quoting'.

One positive about the A&E / meeting explanation is that it's trying to sell the IAM from the potential member's point of view. Plummeting membership has been discussed here. I have no idea whether that's being addressed. However, making the IAM relevant to what the public actually want might be one way of achieving some increase.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun May 15, 2022 5:05 pm

Horse wrote:You might 'gain', but those (as listed by Gareth) - even cumulative - are likely to be small reductions in time for the journey.

I think, if consistently applied, we might reasonably expect they are cumulative. If they're done in conjunction with driving up to the speed limit where safe to do so, I think it ought to result in shorter journey times. In my experience, many drivers are unwilling to drive up to the speed limit. They might say it's more dangerous, which is in direct contradiction to the 'where safe to do so' part. I think the reality is that most drivers prefer to switch off and not think all that much about their driving. Many like to listen to music, audio books, a radio discussion, or similar.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun May 15, 2022 6:13 pm

Gareth wrote:I think, if consistently applied, we might reasonably expect they are cumulative. If they're done in conjunction with driving up to the speed limit where safe to do so, I think it ought to result in shorter journey times

In the context of being late for a meeting, probably not enough of a much shorter journey?

Gareth wrote:They might say it's more dangerous, which is in direct contradiction to the 'where safe to do so' part.

'Safe'. How is that measured?

I'm suggesting that if you erode safety margins then it's going to result in increased risk. Hence my early question about what is altered to maintain safety?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun May 15, 2022 6:27 pm

Horse wrote:I'm suggesting that if you erode safety margins then it's going to result in increased risk.

You appear to be suggesting that faster means safety margins are eroded. As suggested earlier, the end result of that line of thinking is a person walking in front with a red flag. Where do you draw the line? By implication, slower than legal. If so, what's the point of the legal limit?

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun May 15, 2022 7:22 pm

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:I'm suggesting that if you erode safety margins then it's going to result in increased risk.

You appear to be suggesting that faster means safety margins are eroded. As suggested earlier, the end result of that line of thinking is a person walking in front with a red flag. Where do you draw the line? By implication, slower than legal. If so, what's the point of the legal limit?

Twice I've given a - short - list of where safety margins are affected by an increase in speed. Perhaps tell me where or why they're wrong?

There isn't a line, is there? My personal choices are not something that can be defined and described, then used every time I drive, even in the same vehicle. It may vary according to my health that day, weather and light conditions, traffic (volume and constitution), road surface, etc., and the purpose of the journey.

So humour me, imagine I'm a member of the public who is interested in taking the training that you're offering, and you're explaining to me how, having completed the course, how I can choose to drive in two different ways, one more progressive, but maintaining the same level of safety.

I ask "Oh, ok, what do you change that's going to maintain the same level of safety?"

As far as the 'man with the flag' level of speed. Well, yes, if circumstances deem those speeds appropriate (in my estimation, others' speed choices may vary) then that's what I'll do. And I might even break into a canter or full gallop.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm

Horse wrote:having completed the course, how I can choose to drive in two different ways, one more progressive, but maintaining the same level of safety.
This is a bit like assigning a characteristic to a group without accepting that it's a gross simplification.

Horse wrote:- Extended thinking and braking distances

As the road environment allows and if one is engaged, it's possible to adjust speed to maintain a relatively constant safety margin. The engaged alternative is to have a widely varying safety margin as circumstances change, while the disengaged alternative means the safety margin isn't considered and can result in it being eroded at times without the driver being aware of the increased risk.

Horse wrote:- Reduced safety margins e.g. same forward view around blind bends Vs longer stopping distance

If one is engaged, speed is more likely to be consistently linked to vision, resulting in the vehicle travelling appropriately slowly on approach to and through a blind bend, no more quickly than when not attempting to make overall better progress. In fact, having completed the course, you are more likely to appreciate when a situation is hazardous, and will probably be better at assessing how hazardous, than the average person who hasn't done the course, and possibly will approach the same blind bends at a lower speed.

Horse wrote:- Increased severity of a crash

As above, with speed linked to vision, a engaged progressive driver is more likely to be going slower at the point of conflict with another road user, reducing the severity of a crash should that unfortunately occur. Further, an engaged progressive driver might spot the potential risk earlier than would otherwise be the case, and be taking avoiding action.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun May 15, 2022 11:20 pm

I haven't read the whole of this thread in detail so apologies if this has already been covered.

There is one simple rule when it comes to speed. Only drive up to a speed that allows you to stop comfortably on the tarmac available to stop on. The "risk" from speed alone will then be zero. put another way...available tarmac to stop on determines speed.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon May 16, 2022 7:06 am

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:having completed the course, how I can choose to drive in two different ways, one more progressive, but maintaining the same level of safety.
This is a bit like assigning a characteristic to a group without accepting that it's a gross simplification.

Horse wrote:- Extended thinking and braking distances

As the road environment allows and if one is engaged, it's possible to adjust speed to maintain a relatively constant safety margin. The engaged alternative is to have a widely varying safety margin as circumstances change, while the disengaged alternative means the safety margin isn't considered and can result in it being eroded at times without the driver being aware of the increased risk.

Horse wrote:- Reduced safety margins e.g. same forward view around blind bends Vs longer stopping distance

If one is engaged, speed is more likely to be consistently linked to vision, resulting in the vehicle travelling appropriately slowly on approach to and through a blind bend, no more quickly than when not attempting to make overall better progress. In fact, having completed the course, you are more likely to appreciate when a situation is hazardous, and will probably be better at assessing how hazardous, than the average person who hasn't done the course, and possibly will approach the same blind bends at a lower speed.

Horse wrote:- Increased severity of a crash

As above, with speed linked to vision, a engaged progressive driver is more likely to be going slower at the point of conflict with another road user, reducing the severity of a crash should that unfortunately occur. Further, an engaged progressive driver might spot the potential risk earlier than would otherwise be the case, and be taking avoiding action.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I have quoted all of it to avoid any 'selective' problems. Instead, I have bolded sections.

Let's remind ourselves of the original post that prompted my question.

waremark wrote:How do other Observers/Tutors sell the benefits of those elements of Advanced Driving. One of my lines is that for you to be called Advanced, you have to demonstrate that you can maintain safety and smoothness when you are taking your spouse to A&E/late for a meeting etc.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into that - but I took it to mean that would be 'special occasions' driving - i.e. not all drives, everywhere or anywhere.

The bits I have bolded (engaged driver) I fully agree with (as long as there's no overconfidence creeping in).

However, put that in the context of the original quote, which - to me (as I said, perhaps I've misunderstood?) - read as on special occasions... . Those examples were introduced by:
for you to be called Advanced, you have to demonstrate that you can maintain safety and smoothness

Again, no issues with that. It's what the test requires, what the examiner will need to see.

Not a comparison of pre- and post- advanced training, an 'advanced' driver, making decisions about different drives for different purposes.

Is the expectation that someone who has passed the (whichever) test is subsequently always going to drive using 'engaged' driver standards, or is the expectation (or reality?) that, for some or the majority of their driving, they won't implement 'advanced' standards of observation and planning? They will be disengaged? i.e. For 'special occasions' driving, they will 'up their game'?

If the reality is that day-to-day driving standards will be lower (not just 'having an off day'), then perhaps I was asking the wrong question. Instead of "how do you maintain safety", maybe it should have been "how do you decide where to reduce your observation and planning?" or similar.

Ohlins hasn't experienced my driving, but you, John and several others have - you're better placed to give an opinion on whether my driving, in particular whether my choice of appropriate speed infers that a man with a red flag is required.

Return to “General Chat”