What has one learned over the years ?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

What has one learned over the years ?

Postby Triquet » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:15 am

IIRC I passed my 2-wheel test in 1965 and 4-wheel test in 1966. It was old-style driving lessons that got me through the 4-wheel, long before hazard perception and lots of other good stuff. I think it was ten lessons and one was then let out on the road to terrify the other road users.

I've been contemplating what I've learned (and unlearned) since then and it does make one think a bit. Random jottings ....

In 1966 there wasn't a lot of motorway around let alone dual carriageway. There were some interesting three-lane stuff out on the A5 which put the fear of God into everybody. But one has got used to motorways and their various idiosyncracies, including how to deal with very short slip roads and all sorts of things.
My first car had three gears on the column, the second had four on the floor, my third had three on the column plus free-wheel. It's amazing what one gets used to. I came to terms with automatics (my first experience being a nose / steering wheel incident at Los Angeles aurport circa 1975). I've never really got block changes into my head, but I really ought to make some effort. In days of yore one used to overlap gears and brakes something rotten, but I'm slowly weaning myself off it. :gear:
I think my observation has got better over the years. It's also got better as car mirrors (and van mirrors) have got better, but one gets very aware of the blind spots on modern cars. In 1965 we didn't have mini-roundabouts, which even now cause hassle particularly when the road markings have worn off.
I don't seem to remember there being so many potholes in olden days. :drool:
In olden days nobody worried about positioning, just keep in the middle of the lane and don't frighten the horses.

I could go on and on, but it is a constant learning experience ....

martine

Re: What has one learned over the years ?

Postby martine » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:17 pm

Biggest single thing for me was following distance...I was never a close tailgater but since AD in 2001, I've kept a much large gap in front and more recently even larger unless I'm thinking about an overtake. It's better for all the reasons people here know so I won't repeat them.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:33 pm

I learnt that a derestriction sign has a limit. Then driving with the police learnt the new phrase of "driving at your discretion". Today back to national speed limit. At my age I get confused with all these changes. (My excuse for any lapses. :o )

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:53 pm

Triquet wrote:... long before hazard perception ...

During about my third or fourth driving lesson, my instructor said "Slow down - that person is about to run into the road". We were some way off, 30 limit. I did, they did. Instructor explained "fat people don't usually run, so they were very likely to do something without being careful".

Triquet wrote:In olden days nobody worried about positioning

Although the origins of Roadcraft are from the 1930s, positioning for bends was a later development.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:05 pm

Pre 1970 cars were about half as wide as cars are now (Austin A35? 1960 mini?) there was room to position. Room to park and get out of the car without trying to fold yourself in half. Brakes and tyres were rubbish so you had to plan ahead. Steering was a work out You had to know how to fix them at the road side. Driving to day for many seems almost brainless. They don't check their cars are maintained other than the annual service, don't look further than the vehicle in front and many are more interested in what happening on social media than on the road.

So what have I learned? I don't like most other road users. Parents will drag their kids across a busy main road rather than walk 10 yards to a safer crossing point, everyone expects to be respected but don't give any respect. I'm a miserable old git, enough lessons for today :soap:
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:43 am

exportmanuk wrote:Pre 1970 cars were about half as wide as cars are now (Austin A35? 1960 mini?)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Jqncq1cU2KM/S ... 8_1253.jpg
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:18 am

I am less pedantic and more forgiving of others and myself.
My observation I think, has improved as I am not concentrating so much on certain lines or general road positioning.
After so many years a lot has become ingrained; things such as basic checks before driving off and properly adjusting myself and the car for the journey.
Much in life is not gained naturally (no one is a natural driver or pilot etc) but by dogged, or should I say relaxed, learning and concentration over the years.
My old and worn copy of the thin Roadcraft (light blue and not like War and Peace) is still what I use as a basis. The thing was/is just so simple.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:25 am

exportmanuk wrote:Pre 1970 cars were about half as wide as cars are now

I started learning in a Mk2 Cortina, 65" wide. Currently driving a Mk1 Fabia, apparently 65" wide.

Learning continued in a late Hillman Minx, slightly narrower, perhaps my mother wanted a little extra margin to the scenery ;-)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”