Cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Ohlins

Cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit

Postby Ohlins » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:51 pm

Thankfully, this IAM Roadsmart press release is better nuanced than the last one (although it argues for automatic fines from speed cameras – what could possibly go wrong?). That aside, why is IAM Roadsmart focused on enforcement, not driver training?

Why do all the recent press releases fail to mention advanced training? I know autonomous vehicles will – eventually – arrive on our roads. But that's many years away for cars and undoubtedly decades away for bikes.

IAM Roadsmart calls itself the UK's largest road safety charity – but no mention of advanced motoring! Failing to promote advanced training is a strategic mistake because the charity relies on advanced drivers and riders for most of its income. Without membership fees, IAM Roadsmart would go bust.

IAM Roadsmart wrote:Meanwhile, there was also support among respondents for more fines to be handed to those who decide to exceed the speed limit with 82% agreeing that cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit in school zones and urban areas. There was also support for similar schemes to be enforced for those who decide to exceed the speed limit in residential areas and motorways, albeit to a lesser extent (78% and 64%, respectively).

Neil added: “Speeding is simply unacceptable, and it’s encouraging to see that the public are largely in support of looking for new ways to identify motorists who are endangering the lives of others. Introducing automatic detection will deter drivers who are tempted to speed, which in turn will help reduce the number of casualties on our roads.”

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-poli ... -motorists
Last edited by Ohlins on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strangely Brown

Re: Cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:05 pm

Wow. Nice selective quoting for the thread title there. That's almost as bad as MSM Rag Clickbait.

IAM Roadsmart wrote:... 82% agreeing that cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit in school zones and urban areas.
[my emphasis]

Why did you feel the need to leave out the qualifier?

Ohlins

Re: Cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit

Postby Ohlins » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:15 pm

I included the qualifier. However, its length meant it was automatically cut from the title. Hence I edited the original post to start with: "Thankfully, this IAM Roadsmart press release is better nuanced than the last one".

Title aside, I'm curious what's going on in IAM Roadsmart's Comms and Policy departments. Their lines on speeding (zero tolerance?) and enforcement look like BRAKE, and they say hardly anything about advanced training nowadays. What’s going on? Have they forgotten about promoting advanced driving and riding?

IAM Roadsmart member on Facebook wrote:It's about time IAM Roadsmart officially distances themselves from advanced driving, training, and education, and align themselves with the likes of Brake.

More and more of their press releases no longer feature what the IAM used to be about but instead jump on the speed is the route of all evil etc bang wagon.

Sad days and so far removed from the organisation I was then proud to join in 1996 as a 'young driver'.

Strangely Brown

Re: Cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit in school zones and urban areas

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:42 pm

OK, fair enough.

My feelings as to the direction of the IAM are already a matter of record here.

ETA: Interesting that a post title is not truncated when the qualifier is included. I guess thread titles must have different limits.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:22 pm

IAM Roadsmart wrote:... 82% agreeing that cameras should automatically fine drivers who go more than 10mph over the limit in school zones and urban areas.

IIRC all camera fines have to be manually processed to reduce the number of errors.

Then there might need to be additional qualifiers such as 'during term time and school travel hours'.

Also 'urban'? Do they mean all urban limits? Within a couple of hundred yards, we have 20, 30 and 40 limits all definitely urban.

That's without getting into limits Vs targets argument ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:43 pm

Where does urban stop and suburban begin?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:01 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Where does urban stop and suburban begin?

And not active in rural lower speed limits?

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:33 pm

I wonder what Neil believes the mission of IAM Roadsmart to be? And who vets his output?

Like the rest of you here I think the mission should be all about driving and riding skills.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:37 am

Urban have terraced houses, Suburban have semi-detached.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:59 am

Triquet wrote:

Urban have terraced houses, Suburban have semi-detached.

Does that then follow that 'detached' = rural?

Just wondering about Buckingham Palace in rural London ...

Return to “General Chat”