It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:52 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:I really don't care what the IAM marketing blurb says these days. They stopped being the advanced driving organisation that I once knew a long time ago.

Modern Roadcraft (post 1995) is very different to blue book. Do you think that might be connected or coincidence?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Jonquirk

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby Jonquirk » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:47 am

And once again stating that speeding is responsible for around 4380 deaths a year on UK roads. We clearly need to educate them to stop quoting deaths on European roads as deaths on UK roads.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:02 am

Horse wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:I really don't care what the IAM marketing blurb says these days. They stopped being the advanced driving organisation that I once knew a long time ago.

Modern Roadcraft (post 1995) is very different to blue book. Do you think that might be connected or coincidence?

TBH, I have never really given it that much thought. The post '95 versions of Roadcraft are indeed a much weightier tome and, arguably, cover a lot of things that were "missing" from the originals. Unfortunately, in doing so, they have lost the concise beauty of "The Blue Book", including the removal of some valuable parts like "The Ten Commandments of Motoring".

As far as the IAM goes I see an organisation that used to be about driver education turned into little more than a BRAKE wannabe. The moment that they started marketing and selling the work of local groups / observer corps as a packaged product they stopped being about the driver. It's all about the money.

Personally, I don't see a connection between the Roadcraft changes and the organisational ones other than that they are both now, arguably, heavily politically corrected.

Just my £0.02 - other opinions are available.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:52 am

Jonquirk wrote:And once again stating that speeding is responsible for around 4380 deaths a year on UK roads. We clearly need to educate them to stop quoting deaths on European roads as deaths on UK roads.

So much for reading this thread and taking any notice. [Which, I appreciate, are two different things]

In driving terms, they have looked, perhaps even observed. But not then taken the subsequent (and important) stages of deciding what action is required then doing it.

Embarrassing, really.

Either that or it's a classic clusterf*ck (useful term that I first heard from the USAF), with one error compounding another.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:25 am

exportmanuk wrote:Yesterdays Facebook post
Acceptability of speeding on motorways is still far too high but the downward trends of drivers’ opinions are a positive sign. Actual speeding behaviour in towns and cities has also improved as more and more drivers appear to understand the link between speed and serious injury.

“Those who believe it is acceptable to drive at speeds greater than the limit are simply not listening to the warnings or taking notice of the frequent police messaging. Speeding is responsible for around 12 deaths each day on UK roads, we clearly need to do more to educate drivers on the fatal consequences of speeding

Once again promoting the myth that a number on a stick is a safe speed.

So a road I did 60mph down and got commended for doing on an advance test would now be dangerous because some council busy body has stuck up a 50 sign? :hit:

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:34 am

At least motorways and dual carriageways have consistent speed limits. It's the totally inconsistent application of NSL / 50 / 40 to single carriageways that is really hopeless. We also have the situation where A roads are subject to these arbitrary restrictions whereas many of the B roads (and even roads with grass growing down the middle) are by default NSL ... Grrrr :drool:

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:46 am

Triquet wrote: whereas many of the B roads (and even roads with grass growing down the middle) are by default NSL ... Grrrr :drool:

Steady .. that almost sounds like an argument in favour of blanket speed limit reduction on all of those roads ;) :)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:50 am

Horse wrote:
Triquet wrote: whereas many of the B roads (and even roads with grass growing down the middle) are by default NSL ... Grrrr :drool:

Steady .. that almost sounds like an argument in favour of blanket speed limit reduction on all of those roads ;) :)

No, they would run out of lollipops on sticks

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:54 am

Triquet wrote:
Horse wrote:

No, they would run out of lollipops on sticks

Probably just quietly alter the requirements, like for repeater sign spacing :(

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:53 am

Horse wrote:
Jonquirk wrote:And once again stating that speeding is responsible for around 4380 deaths a year on UK roads. We clearly need to educate them to stop quoting deaths on European roads as deaths on UK roads.

So much for reading this thread and taking any notice. [Which, I appreciate, are two different things]

In driving terms, they have looked, perhaps even observed. But not then taken the subsequent (and important) stages of deciding what action is required then doing it.

Embarrassing, really.

Either that or it's a classic clusterf*ck (useful term that I first heard from the USAF), with one error compounding another.

What are you guys reading? Here's the corrected article. The damage is done though with the initial rubbish being copied and pasted around the internet.
Let's not forget the definition of serious injury changes over time. I've heard an RTC could be "elevated" to K&S if an ambulance attended. Even if no one needed an ambulance.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-poli ... -years-ago

"Speeding is responsible for around 12 people being killed or injured each day on UK roads, we clearly need to do more to educate drivers on the fatal consequences of speeding."

Return to “General Chat”