It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Ohlins

It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby Ohlins » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:06 pm

It's a good job that I've didn't look at my speedo on a German autobahn because driving above 80 mph is a "chilling" thought to IAM Roadsmart's Policy Director. I may have reached, say, 81 mph (or even faster), so I should count myself lucky to be alive.

According to IAM Roadsmart's latest survey: "21 per cent thought it was acceptable to drive even faster than 80mph on the motorway compared to a chilling 28 per cent in 2016.

"Neil Greig, Director of Policy and Research welcomed such downward trends but insisted more needs to be done to ensure these figures continue to decrease: "Acceptability of speeding on motorways is still far too high but the downward trends of drivers' opinions are a positive sign. Actual speeding behaviour in towns and cities has also improved as more and more drivers appear to understand the link between speed and serious injury.
"Those who believe it is acceptable to drive at speeds greater than the limit are simply not listening to the warnings or taking notice of the frequent police messaging. Speeding is responsible for around 12 deaths each day on UK roads, we clearly need to do more to educate drivers on the fatal consequences of speeding."

Predictably, it went down among some on social media like a pork pie at a bar-mitzvah. Comments included: "You are dumbing down your membership by asking questions without context."

Horse

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:40 pm

Ohlins wrote: Speeding is responsible for around 12 deaths each day on UK roads

Serious Q, is that actually a fact? Presumably by analysis of STATS19 data?

Gov.uk says:
"There were an estimated 1,390 reported road deaths in the year ending June 2021"

12 x 365 = 4,380.

Hmmm ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby vanman » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:34 pm

Brake, Brake, Brake.............................................. :soap: :bash:
Lots more to say but what is the point?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:40 pm

The "How Not To Crash" book by Reg Local takes a look at the causes of accidents. There is some interesting reading in there, esp in relation to how "speeding" fits into the picture.

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:58 pm

How sad - that a person who would be quoted like that should be IAM Roadsmart Policy Director.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:01 am

So are you folk who are IAM members going to quit in disgust (and make it clear exactly why you are quitting)? Because for all the good you can claim you're doing in local groups, continuing to be a member only tacitly endorses their behaviour and messaging.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:04 am

How sad - that an organisation that once stood for a noble ideal and worthy aim is now reduced to little more than a lowest common denominator BRAKE mouthpiece.

That so many of you, whom I know personally and respect greatly, choose to continue your association with this travesty is, to me, both sad and puzzling in equal measure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ETA: bugger. Jon got in before me.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:54 am

Those of us who are IAM members do so at the grass roots level and are involved with local groups where generally the 'old school' views/ideals are still in place.

All we can do is carry on voicing our disapproval where possible. I really enjoy the Observer role and don't want to give it up. resigning form the IAM would mean I'd have to.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:15 am

jont- wrote:So are you folk who are IAM members going to quit in disgust (and make it clear exactly why you are quitting)? Because for all the good you can claim you're doing in local groups, continuing to be a member only tacitly endorses their behaviour and messaging.

Very fair point John, but as stated above, we at grass root approach the problem as when we joined the IAM (not roadsmart). Totally agree we should all resign,. However there are people out there that need help, just getting about safely let alone at or under the speed limit. I joined the local group to improve the driving around me so I didn't have so much trouble getting about, after 30 years that still applies, whatever Head office says I will continue observing, IF we get anyone to join that is.
Non-Bastardum Carbourundum (I think that's right :D )

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:15 am

Does that not simply make you enablers? Surely without people like you people like them could not exist.
Other avenues to "spread the word" are available.

Return to “General Chat”