It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
hir

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby hir » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:30 pm

waremark wrote:Most of the IAM Roadsmart personnel we come into contact with share our views on matters like these.

Agreed, but the problem in all of this seems to stem from the personnel that we don’t come into contact with. Generally they do not have much, or any, contact with the likes of you and me. They do not get involved with observers, let alone associates. I think the problem stems from a lack of understanding of what motivates drivers to improve their driving skills; a lack of understanding as to what motivated the 90,000 membership to become advanced drivers/riders in the first place. I think the senior management team needs to seriously think about how much it really understands what motivates the membership and those aspiring to be advanced drivers and riders.

Just a thought.

hir

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby hir » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:52 pm

jcochrane wrote:…For the time being I continue to observe for the reasons you mention. Most Observers in our group are disgusted by the attitude eminating from HQ and are very close to walking away. Like yourself we try to ignore HQ and continue to uphold the original values and objectives of IAM which the present management have forgotten/discarded.

Agreed. It’s the only way to retain one’s sanity.

A few years ago, an IAM observer [I’ve no recollection who it was] posted on here that he was so appalled by the latest IAM directive that, quote… “I am no longer going to work for the IAM”.

I responded that I, as a long-standing observer, had never regarded myself as “working” for the IAM; I considered that I “worked” for the associate alone. The IAM was merely a convenient vehicle to supply me with associates which then enabled me to help like minded individuals to improve their driving and become advanced drivers.

I think I persuaded him to carry on. I hope so.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:55 am

hir wrote:
jcochrane wrote:…For the time being I continue to observe for the reasons you mention. Most Observers in our group are disgusted by the attitude eminating from HQ and are very close to walking away. Like yourself we try to ignore HQ and continue to uphold the original values and objectives of IAM which the present management have forgotten/discarded.

Agreed. It’s the only way to retain one’s sanity.

A few years ago, an IAM observer [I’ve no recollection who it was] posted on here that he was so appalled by the latest IAM directive that, quote… “I am no longer going to work for the IAM”.

I responded that I, as a long-standing observer, had never regarded myself as “working” for the IAM; I considered that I “worked” for the associate alone. The IAM was merely a convenient vehicle to supply me with associates which then enabled me to help like minded individuals to improve their driving and become advanced drivers.

I think I persuaded him to carry on. I hope so.

Fully agree. The groups and observing was the initiative of ordinary folks like us and definitely not the IAM HQ. I have never signed a contract to work for them and never will.With regard to them supplying Associates to us is something they need to do to generate income. The latest I've heard is that they now want the groups to go back to marketing locally for them.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:50 am

I agree, John. The IAM should get back to its roots. They should provide the test, administered by Police Advanced Certificate Holders, and the groups can get back to [legally] providing a path to passing it. The only payment required by the aspirant/trainee/associate should be the subs for group membership not the formal purchase of course of training which is then provided [mostly] by non-ADIs.

But... we've been here before, many times... and nobody cares.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:18 pm

jcochrane wrote:The latest I've heard is that they now want the groups to go back to marketing locally for them.

We, as a motorcycle group, always have. None of our associates come from the IAM, they all come from local word of mouth and attending shows and dealers (where we often run their demo days).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:37 pm

I abandoned the IAM years ago. I couldn't see what purpose it served except to parrot certain types of road safety advice.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:44 pm

So for all you folk that can't bring yourselves to leave the IAM, what's stopping you setting up an alternative organisation? Is there some magic legal protection IAM has? Marketing? I mean if you really want to attract folk to be better drivers wouldn't abadoning the IAMs image be a great first step in the right direction?

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:53 pm

jont- wrote:So for all you folk that can't bring yourselves to leave the IAM, what's stopping you setting up an alternative organisation? Is there some magic legal protection IAM has? Marketing? I mean if you really want to attract folk to be better drivers wouldn't abadoning the IAMs image be a great first step in the right direction?

Something we have been considering along those lines.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:23 pm

jont- wrote:So for all you folk that can't bring yourselves to leave the IAM, what's stopping you setting up an alternative organisation? Is there some magic legal protection IAM has? Marketing? I mean if you really want to attract folk to be better drivers wouldn't abadoning the IAMs image be a great first step in the right direction?

While not agreeing with the tone of their social media presence the fact is at a group level having some form of umbrella organisation does add weight/kudos. Also IAM/Rospa do offer a recognised test, that any breakaway would be unable to do.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm

There is nothing stopping anyone taking a RoSPA/RoADAR test however they happened to receive their training. The same used to be true of the IAM but the last time I looked that option was no longer available. AFAIK (and happy to be corrected) the test is now only available as part of the purchased package of instruction. If correct, I wonder what could have driven that decision?

Return to “General Chat”