It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby martine » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:06 pm

I've just had a call from Rebecca Ashton @ IAM RoadSmart and she has taken the page down...and apologised. Apparently they missed the 'killed or injured' bit.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Re: It’s chilling that people drive at 81 mph on the motorway – says IAM Roadsmart

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:29 pm

And our latest user to join seems to be Rebecca

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:03 pm

jont- wrote:And our latest user to join seems to be Rebecca

Good! And I hope she reads this thread, too: IAM Roadsmart’s car crash on social media

Also, IAM Roadsmart has been hand-wringing on social media for too long. Remember this PR disaster? 80mph on the motorway as bad as drink driving

If Rebecca Ashton stumbles on this topic, she should know that I've just cancelled the payment renewal for my IAM Roadsmart membership. I joined the organisation for advanced motorcycling, not dumbed down motoring. Once upon a time, the IAM promoted the thinking diver and rider – I was proud to be a member and recruited many others. No more.

IAM Roadsmart should be about advanced driving and riding, not hand-wringing.
Last edited by Ohlins on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RebeccaAshton

Postby RebeccaAshton » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:06 pm

Good afternoon everyone

I apologies for the error in our press release, a serious omission of the words 'or injured' on our behalf. Thanks to Martin for contacting me and pointing out the mistake, allowing me to speak to the communications team and get this corrected.

You will find the updated press release by following then link below.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-poli ... -years-ago

Best wishes
Rebecca

Ohlins

Postby Ohlins » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Hello Rebecca,

Firstly, many thanks indeed for participating in this forum and correcting the press release. While this forum is small, it represents many people who have a high level of active involvement with IAM Roadsmart.

As you can see from the posts on this thread, many of us have considerable disquiet with the tone of recent communications. It would be helpful to relate this disquiet to all the relevant colleagues at head office (e.g. the Comms team). The tone of some communications is losing members.

TR4ffic wrote:That's why I decided not to renew my membership last year... Mainly prompted by the survey at the time about how to reduce accidents/fatalities on rural roads (I think it was) where there was no option for additional training

In addition, it would be helpful if Policy and Comms alike considered the impact of some of the social media messages on recruiting new motorcycle members. Motorcycling is growing, so it’s a source of membership growth for IAM Roadsmart. While not condoning speeding, the Comms about speed must be nuanced to avoid turning off this group.

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:35 pm

For years it has been if a pedestrian was hit at 20mph they would be injured but survive, at 30mph they would be seriously injured but may survive, at 40mph they would probably be killed. A very experienced driver pointed out, how about NOT hitting them at all! The true value of training.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:50 pm

jont- wrote:I get a 404 on that page. Maybe it's gone already?

Link works for me.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:13 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:I get a 404 on that page. Maybe it's gone already?

Link works for me.

I think it's since been updated as Rebecca says above.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:14 pm

vanman wrote:For years it has been if a pedestrian was hit at 20mph they would be injured but survive, at 30mph they would be seriously injured but may survive, at 40mph they would probably be killed. A very experienced driver pointed out, how about NOT hitting them at all! The true value of training.

At 50mph you're past where they are on the pavement before they can get into the road? :mrgreen:

vanman

Postby vanman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:10 pm

At 50mph you're past where they are on the pavement before they can get into the road? :mrgreen:[/quote]
Blimey yes, must be why I keep missing 'em :D

Return to “General Chat”