New rules for towing a trailer

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

New rules for towing a trailer

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:47 pm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021

So all those tests and training since 1997 were for what?

How many B+E trainers are out of business over night? :o
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Re: New rules for towing a trailer

Postby jont- » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Could at least have kept a theory test. Presumably a convenient trick to free up examiners for lorry tests.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:18 pm

jont- wrote:Could at least have kept a theory test. Presumably a convenient trick to free up examiners for lorry tests.

That would be exactly what it is.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:32 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:...

A tad melodramatic? If they're ADIs they can keep earning by taking learners, which they will be qualified for.

People pay IAM and RoADAR for tests and training they don't legally need; I wonder how many will still take towing training without the need for a test?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 pm

crr003 wrote:

A tad melodramatic? If they're ADIs they can keep earning by taking learners, which they will be qualified for.

People pay IAM and RoADAR for tests and training they don't legally need; I wonder how many will still take towing training without the need for a test?

There seems to be quite a few dedicated towing companies/sole traders.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:03 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:

It'll only take the insurance companies to rally round and say you're not insured to tow a tin tent etc. without x hours of professional training. Could be the best thing that happened to them.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:37 am

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:

It'll only take the insurance companies to rally round and say you're not insured to tow a tin tent etc. without x hours of professional training. Could be the best thing that happened to them.

Now, where's Horse questioning whether training actually delivers any benefits in terms of reduced accident rates...

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:32 am

jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:

... hours of professional training. Could be the best thing that happened to them.

Now, where's Horse questioning whether training actually delivers any benefits in terms of reduced accident rates...

:D :popcorn:

FWIW
a Grandfather rights for towing
b Never had training
b Rubbish at towing on the few occasions I've tried (ie getting in knots when reversing

It's an interesting situation. How much of the specific training is skills and how often does a lack of skill cause safety issues (rather than 'just' damage claims)? [Weight distribution? How not to get a speed wobble? Are you stuffed if you do? etc]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:59 am

I have Grandfather rights. Generally have no problems (towing a dinghy or a box trailer), but I am still rubbish at reversing a small trailer which can't be seen in the mirrors until it suddenly appears sideways.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 am

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:
crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:

... hours of professional training. Could be the best thing that happened to them.

:D :popcorn:

FWIW
a Grandfather rights for towing
b Never had training
b Rubbish at towing on the few occasions I've tried (ie getting in knots when reversing

It's an interesting situation. How much of the specific training is skills and how often does a lack of skill cause safety issues (rather than 'just' damage claims)? [Weight distribution? How not to get a speed wobble? Are you stuffed if you do? etc]

And how many problems are just general driver ineptness rather than anything trailer specific.

I'm still surprised there wasn't at least a theory test to check speed limit knowledge and refresh HC knowledge.

Return to “General Chat”