Left hand / Right hand

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

Left hand / Right hand

Postby Triquet » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:58 am

Just back from ten days in France, our first visit for thirteen months. It's curious how the mental autopilot adjusts to driving on the left / driving on the right / and back again. Fortunately the old Saab doesn't have lane assist .... :racing: :gear:

sussex2

Re: Left hand / Right hand

Postby sussex2 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:14 am

Triquet wrote:Just back from ten days in France, our first visit for thirteen months. It's curious how the mental autopilot adjusts to driving on the left / driving on the right / and back again. Fortunately the old Saab doesn't have lane assist .... :racing: :gear:

I have always found driving on the right more logical, comfortable.
On the rare occasions I return to the UK it don't half take 'em by surprise :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Biggest grief I've had was driving in NZ for several weeks, then returning to UK and need to wipe right to turn right ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:04 pm

I drove a UK set up car for a short while in the Pyrenees (Catalan and Aragon) it attracted much attention and people would take photos of this 'strange' vehicle.
I would have taken my UK set up MX5 with me but in the end did not. It is not difficult to buy a used one here and surprisingly they do not seem to rust in the surprisingly quickly way they do in the UK (even the new models).

martine

Postby martine » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:34 pm

Horse wrote:Biggest grief I've had was driving in NZ for several weeks, then returning to UK and need to wipe right to turn right ...

eh - doesn't New Zealand drive on the left like the UK...or is that another 'NZ'?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:46 am

I think he may mean that the cars for their market have the wipers on the left and the indicators on the right? Many JDM cars are the same including our Jimny and I often "wipe right to turn right" when I use it.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:35 am

Strangely Brown wrote:I think he may mean that the cars for their market have the wipers on the left and the indicators on the right?

^ that :)

The 'problem' being that they don't really have a new car market, relying instead on imports, largely Japanese used vehicles.

There is concern that as other countries move to EVs, they will have IC cars 'dumped'.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”