Brake and their RoadMap

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Brake and their RoadMap

Postby martine » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:03 pm

So Brake (bless them) have released a 'RoadMap to Safe and Healthy Journeys'...basically a posh website with guidance and advice...
http://www.brake.org.uk/get-involved/take-action/mybrake/knowledge-centre/roadmap

One of the things includes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Overtaking
Overtaking on single carriageways is incredibly risky and should be avoided. It is impossible to accurately judge the speed of approaching traffic, or the length of empty road in front of you, and when overtaking this can be fatal.

"Overtaking should be avoided" full stop :o

It has plenty on Choosing the right vehicle, Not driving distracted, Knowing what to do if you breakdown or crash...but nothing about improving driving skills :roll:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Re: Brake and their RoadMap

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:59 pm

Hmm, your secret is out Martine :D

That page is only viewable by people who have registered. For me it just pops up a page to join! :o

As for overtaking ... it's becoming less and less acceptable. If I'm not flashed at least once :o when out on a ride, then something is wrong that day. (and I'm Mr extra cautious when it comes to overtakes)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 pm

Just, as with so many things these days, dumbing down. No wonder we're on a path to irrelevance in this world.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:19 pm

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 pm

martine wrote: Choosing the right vehicle,

Sorry, couldn't resist, presumably this would be the fastest from 30mph to 70mph, to keep it legal.
So, electric?

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:24 pm

martine wrote:Overtaking
Overtaking on single carriageways is incredibly risky and should be avoided ... when overtaking this can be fatal.

For a lot of motorcyclists, it is.

martine wrote:Overtaking
It is impossible to accurately judge the speed of approaching traffic, or the length of empty road in front of you

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1068/p090183

There is now much evidence that the driver is quite often operating beyond his visual or perceptual capabilities in a number of key driving situations, including overtaking,

martine wrote:...but nothing about improving driving skills :roll:

Sadly, there's little or no evidence that improving vehicle handling skills actually improves safety. In fact, there is evidence to the contrary. Any safety improvement is likely to come from developing 'insight', a sort of hazard perception plus.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Horse wrote:Sadly, there's little or no evidence that improving vehicle handling skills actually improves safety. In fact, there is evidence to the contrary. Any safety improvement is likely to come from developing 'insight', a sort of hazard perception plus.

I took that martine was referencing "insight" rather than your assumption of vehicle handling skills.

hir

Postby hir » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 pm

martine wrote:So Brake (bless them) have released a 'RoadMap to Safe and Healthy Journeys'...basically a posh website with guidance and advice...
...but nothing about improving driving skills :roll:

That’s not really surprising. I estimate that probably 98% of drivers are simply not interested in improving their driving skills. So, for Brake to campaign for improved driving skills would be a waste of their resources. Just think how hard it is for the IAM to penetrate the consciousness of the general driving community, and they have a ready made driving skills improvement course for anyone who is interested.

I’m afraid driver improvement is a minority sport, which is why Brake can make their fatuous claims about overtaking and the general public respond with a mixture of indifference and “they’re right you know, it really is soooo dangerous!!”

I know someone who has a Porsche 911 and is quite happy to tell all and sundry that he hasn’t overtaken anyone in years. Because it’s dangerous!

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 pm

martine wrote:So Brake (bless them) have released a 'RoadMap to Safe and Healthy Journeys'...basically a posh website with guidance and advice...
http://www.brake.org.uk/get-involved/take-action/mybrake/knowledge-centre/roadmap

One of the things includes:
Overtaking
Overtaking on single carriageways is incredibly risky and should be avoided. It is impossible to accurately judge the speed of approaching traffic, or the length of empty road in front of you, and when overtaking this can be fatal.

"Overtaking should be avoided" full stop :o

It has plenty on Choosing the right vehicle, Not driving distracted, Knowing what to do if you breakdown or crash...but nothing about improving driving skills :roll:

To be fair, I think they've been saying "don't overtake" for years. So just boring old rehashed rhetoric. Normal drivers can't/won't overtake anyway, so nothing controversial here.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 am

If it's impossible to judge the speed of oncoming traffic, perhaps they should question how scamera vans operate legally? (since I believe operators are supposed to form an opinion that an oncoming vehicle is speeding rather than being allowed to indiscriminately target every vehicle).

Return to “General Chat”