Proposed changes to the Highway Code?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Proposed changes to the Highway Code?

Postby martine » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:33 pm

So what do people here think about the proposals which include:

• Pedestrians waiting to cross the road having priority over vehicles (rather than just those already crossing)?
  • Cyclists having priority when undertaking vehicles turning left?
  • Cyclists having priority when overtaking vehicles turning right?

Well that's my understanding but I don't believe anything has been published yet.

I have my own thoughts but I'd be interested to here what others think.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Re: Proposed changes to the Highway Code?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:46 pm

So the consultation was just a tick box. What a surprise.

There will be casualties as peds and cyclists start exercising their new found rights of way.

This is the UK, not the Netherlands etc. Sadly the attitude of the average person is to push/barge through.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:There will be casualties as peds and cyclists start exercising their new found rights of way.

And rear end shunts as the few that do give right of way to peds/cyclists get punted by those on the main road not paying attention and wondering why someone hasn't turned into an empty road.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:28 pm

It's going to take a while before this settles down ....

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:00 pm

I sympathise with the motivation. As people are encouraged to walk and cycle more, and as they are driven out of their cars by 20 mph limits and deliberately created congestion, casualties are going to rise. How to prevent that? But I don't think this will make much difference to anything.

If you were turning left today and saw a cyclist on your left, not obviously stopping behind you, what would you do? Any normal person would wait for the cyclist to clear, so not much changes there. The accidents happen when the cyclist is in a blind spot and not seen - and a cautious cyclist will still give way in case the driver has not seen them. If the driver has signalled left well in advance, presumably the cyclist will overtake to the right.

As to turning right, again an early position and signal will prompt cyclists to go to the left. If the cyclist is filtering to the right (not likely to be overtaking otherwise, again any normal driver would give way.

My biggest reservation is about giving priority to pedestrians waiting to cross at a junction - I don't think that's the safest place to cross and I don't think it should be encouraged. I am happy to give priority to pedestrians waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing. I do anyway.

Incidentally, I heard that no changes in primary legislation are planned, and no-one reads the HWC so nothing much will change (I might have said no-one reads it after their test, but I don't know that learners even read it before their tests, my children got full or almost full marks in their theory tests from using practice questions without ever reading the HWC).

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:28 pm

waremark wrote: my children got full or almost full marks in their theory tests from using practice questions without ever reading the HWC).

You'd hope there was some commonality;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Postby vanman » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:27 pm

The issue of giving way to pedestrians at junctions, maybe just maybe. With more and more electric vehicles on the road pedestrians are unaware of their presence, therefore it is down to the driver/operator to give way to them. Same for 50 limits on rural roads, can't have EV's running out of power in remote areas can we? It is all a plot to get us all in EV's weather we like it or not. :soap:

martine

Postby martine » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:15 pm

waremark wrote:...If you were turning left today and saw a cyclist on your left, not obviously stopping behind you, what would you do? Any normal person would wait for the cyclist to clear, so not much changes there.

But how many 'normal' drivers actually check their left mirror and shoulder check, before turning left? Some cyclists also ride quickly, too quickly in town and could come whizzing up the inside :shock:

waremark wrote:...As to turning right, again an early position and signal will prompt cyclists to go to the left. If the cyclist is filtering to the right (not likely to be overtaking otherwise, again any normal driver would give way.

You are right but I reckon the legal precedence applies here...you might be indicating but perhaps an errant cyclist goes for the overtake - if you knock them off then you are in trouble with the law...is my understanding.

waremark wrote:...My biggest reservation is about giving priority to pedestrians waiting to cross at a junction - I don't think that's the safest place to cross and I don't think it should be encouraged.

Agreed but some pedestrians will still walk out knowing the traffic has to stop...I can imagine big problems at many city centres.

waremark wrote:...I am happy to give priority to pedestrians waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing. I do anyway.

Yes me too and I imagine many here do so, also.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 am

Just shows how out of touch I am. :oops: I remember a time when cars were to give way to pedestrians, cyclists and riders on horseback. I must have missed when the Highway Code changed this. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

With the number of cyclist, and I constantly experienced this in my cycling days, who have had cars turn in front of them, without the driver checking their mirrors or giving adequate timely warning with signals (not realising that it takes more distance/time for a cyclist to stop to avoid hitting into them as they turn in front of them) I can perhaps understand why there is a need for drivers to think and look more carefully accepting their responsibility towards more vulnerable road users.

With regard pedestrians waiting to cross, could it be that they have in mind those with sight or hearing problems? Too often I see cars deliberately turning into a junction, without proper warning, just as a pedestrian was about to step out trying to ensure they make the pedestrian teeter back to give way to them.

What is a shame is that because of deteriating attitude of drivers this kind of legislation is necessary at all.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:09 am

The really scary bit of this is Cyclists and Pedestrians will see this and think they are no longer responsible for their own safety. They will see it as everyone else has to look out for them. I foresee this actually causing a raise in the KSI. I know they are basing this on some EU states, but having been to these countries they are a great deal better educated in road use. I have been in small German towns late at night with hardly a car on the road and the locals still wont cross the road until there is a green man illuminated for them to cross. Here people walk in to the road without looking at all at any time of day or night.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Return to “General Chat”