IAM Bad Habits

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: IAM Bad Habits

Postby jont- » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:41 am

Horse wrote:
waremark wrote:
akirk wrote:well, starting the engine and letting it sit for 60 seconds -> warmed up car… is not accurate, anyone doing that and then over-revving my m5 is likely to end up as damaged as the car ;)

As I understand it, it is best to drive off quite soon after starting the engine, because the oil may not circulate well at idle, and not to use full performance for up to 15 minutes.

When I was unable to drive, every two weeks I ran the engine up to temperature. Typically about half an hour. Since then, on-road, about 2 or 3 miles.

That will just be the coolant. If you have an oil temp gauge, it's usually at least double whatever the coolant takes, possibly longer in winter. And one car has a gearbox oil temp gauge, and that takes about twice as long as the engine oil to reach normal temp.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 am

:soap: Drill a small hole in the end of the egg before sucking

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:01 am

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:When I was unable to drive, every two weeks I ran the engine up to temperature. Typically about half an hour. Since then, on-road, about 2 or 3 miles.

That will just be the coolant. If you have an oil temp gauge, it's usually at least double whatever the coolant takes, possibly longer in winter.

I would be checking both when it was parked, they usually increased at similar rates, albeit with a lag. TBH, I can't remember whether I checked both on-road, it was Feb/Mar. No point repeating now!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 am

jont- wrote:Taking the same amount of kinetic energy out of a vehicle by either hard braking or gentle braking will create the same wear and tear, no?

I reckon they're thinking about the peak forces on bushes and suspension components, including through the caliper and hub.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:54 am

In the context of the target audience, the meanings of certain words or phrases, and the advice, seems reasonable.

Thinking about starting engines from cold the initial oil pressure is high, obvious if you have a gauge, and takes time to reduce. Given that all the advice is a continuum, waiting a few seconds to be certain of the oil being pumped around the engine, and limiting revs while the engine is warming up, might be helpful information for drivers in the habit of starting the engine and immediately and repeatedly blipping the throttle or holding the engine at, say, 3000 rpm.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:20 am

Gareth wrote:
jont- wrote:Taking the same amount of kinetic energy out of a vehicle by either hard braking or gentle braking will create the same wear and tear, no?

I reckon they're thinking about the peak forces on bushes and suspension components, including through the caliper and hub.

I reckon it's another way of trying to get people to plan a bit earlier.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 am

Horse wrote:
Gareth wrote:

I reckon it's another way of trying to get people to plan a bit earlier.

Is it wrong to plan to brake firmly then? :twisted:

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:36 am

jont- wrote:Is it wrong to plan to brake firmly then? :twisted:

Noooo. Not at all :racing: :car:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 am

For which decade and for which vehicles is this written? Seems to me, purely IMO, that it lingers somewhere in the 1980's (in which decade lies a lot of peoples driving).
Modern cars are tough, very tough, and all the bits and pieces last, shall we say 10 times longer than before, are better made than before and more reliable, more thoroughly tested.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:36 am

dvenman wrote:
jont- wrote:Is it wrong to plan to brake firmly then? :twisted:

Noooo. Not at all :racing: :car:

The handbook for a Saab I had (9-3 2000 model - terrible car) advised against 'feathering' the brakes and suggested braking later as the ABS, if needed, would work better.

Return to “General Chat”